CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Crypto Facts& personal take on things

Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Kokopelli
Crypto Facts& personal take on things

Alright, I think I have all the facts I can at this point have... information about this parasite is sadly lacking.

There are 11 species of Cryptosporidium and it is currently believed that Cryptosporidium Serpentis is the species that can cause illness in lizards and snakes.

Diagnosing:

The symptoms are a bit vague and can be easily emulated by any number of physical illnesses. Being a digestive tract parasite, the parasite causes inflammation of the stomach tissue, which leads to swelling, regurgitation and anorexia... eventually, leading to death.

Cryptosporidium Serpentis can be tested for by:
1- fast acid fecal test (it is recommended to conduct three consecutive tests to rule out the presence of Crypto).

2- Blood tests. The current methods are very sensitive and may yield false positive results should other species of Cryptosporidium be present(usually Cryptosporidium Parvum, which can be passed on by ingesting infected rodents, but it causes no harm to snakes).

3- Biopsy taken from the stomach. This is a very stressful and risky test, as anesthetics are high risk in reptiles.
It is also not as accurate as one would hope(according to "Understanding Reptile Parasites).

4- Histology on the stomach tissue, conducted in post morterm will give an accurate diagnosis.

Snakes can harbor the parasite for their entire lives without showing symptoms. Snakes with developed immune systems can live as if nothing is wrong, but they will still shed Occysts and may still contaminate snakes in their surroundings.

Treatment:

Currently there is no effective treatment for Cryptosporidium. Attempts have been made to treat the disease with medicine that are usually used on kettle in order to treat other Crypto variants to variable success ratio, but nothing solid has yet been discovered.

Facts:
1- on 1995 an experiment was made to attempt to infect rats with Cryptosporidium Serpentis repeatedly- these attempts consistently failed. This goes a relatively long way into negating the hypothesis that snakes can receive Crypto by eating contaminated rats.

2- Minimal exposure to the parasite is sufficient to infect another reptile, usually, transmission occurs by drinking contaminated water. The contraction occurs by fecal-oral contact.

3- Crypto occysts are extremely resilient and can withstand exposure to long periods of very low degrees(a test conducted on Crytpo occysts showed that after 775 hours of freezing at -22 degree Celsius, 2% of the occysts were still active and capable of infection.
They are also highly resilient to conventional cleaning materials: Chlorine, Bleach, and so forth have little effect.
The following proved useful:
* 8-18 hours of exposure to: Ammonia(5%), Formalin(10%), Saline solution(10%), Hydrogen Peroxide.
* Quick response to fast freezing(liquid nitrogen).
* 5-9 minutes exposure to steam-cleaning jets at 45-60 degrees Celsius.

It is interesting to note though that 20% of the Occysts shed are "thin-walled" and easily destroyed. This, it is believed, are meant to re-infect the snake. The rest are thick-walled and meant to be introduced to other animals- since snakes are kept in relatively small cages, they get re-infected from thick walled Occysts as well.

4- Crypto occysts can remain active for up to 6 months on dry surfaces.

Prevention:

These are not facts, but steps that could be the difference between major infection and safety:

1- New animals should be handled with single use gloves and away from the collection. It would be extremely beneficial to conducted a fecal test at least once before terminating quarantine.

2- Food and water dishes should never be passed from one snake to another.

3- Do not wash water dishes with the same towel/brush/whatever- Crypto travels very well by water and I suspect this is how it has spread through my collection.

4- Get a steam cleaner- there are hand-held steam cleaners which are quite cheap and effective.

Personally I am not inclined to believe that human beings can serve as vectors in passing the disease unless minimal hygene is not being practiced- by our actions though, such as moving one food item to another viv, feeding kingsnakes with deceased animals, cleaning water dishes with the same tools- we can make vectors out of ourselves.

If Crytpo made its' way into your collection, you will be faced with a difficult dilemma.
Regardless of how hygienic you think you were- I suggest testing every single snake you own.
The moral thing to do is to stop the further spread of the parasite... so you either stop breeding and keep the snakes you have as pets without exposing them to other animals/keepers, or you euthanize the infected animals.
I can't tell you what's right and wrong- but I -can- say that it would be irresponsible to sell an infected animal- not only may the snake eventually die, it may contaminate entire collections.

It is now believed that a very high percent of captive Leopard Geckos are Crypto positive- and I suspect the same is true for many snakes.

It is up to us to be aware and prevent the further spread of this parasite, and hope that a definite cure is found soon.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
ZiggysMom
Thank you for this very informative post.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Iguanagirl8662
Are there diferent species of crypto that infect snakes and is it the same type of crypto that can infect leopard geckos?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
Kokopelli
Cryptosporidium Serpentis is believed to be the most common fatal strain of Crypto for reptiles, and it harms Leopard geckos and Snakes just as fatally.
One difference is that the parasite usually reproduced and causes harm in the Leopard Gecko's gut, where in snakes, the site of reproduction is usually the stomach.

It is not yet known whether or not other strains inflict the same magnitude of damage or not. It is believed that the strain that inflicts rodents and humans(Parvum) is not likely to cause the same fatal results in reptiles.

There's still allot of research to be made.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
MysticExotics
Thank you for posting this. I know this has been an extremely hard road for you.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
proileri
I'd like to add that Crypto is sensitive to UV light. Strong UV light is a common disinfection method and can be used to help disinfect surfaces when use of Hydrogen Peroxide is not practical. Hydrogen Peroxide should be at 6-7% concentration, where it is the most efficient chemical compound against Crypto.

Chlorine or spirits don't have much effect on Cryptosporidiasis, unless it's the rare version called Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2). The Cryptosporidium oocysts are resilient buggers.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Kokopelli
I have not found any indication to this in any of the studies or books I've read. Care to point us to the source?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
SnakeAround
"Cryptosporidiosis is a common intestinal infection of leopard geckos caused by the one-celled parasite Cryptosporidium varanii (also know in older references as Cryptosporidium saurophilum)."

I have found that it will kill snakes too, the same way. Autopsy will reveal infected intestines but the stomach can be als most clear from it so the swollen stomach lacks as a sign. Be aware. The will emaciate and die but can eat like a champ until a few weeks before it's lethal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google