CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can hornworms be fed to a corn snake?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Can you believe that? They want a buck a piece for those critters. Anyone with a garden can't get rid of them.

I'm in the wrong business.
I had a common snapper juvie that I kept in an outdoor pond back when I lived in NM. If my wife or I for any of those cretins on our tomatoes, off to mr snapper or the neighborhood roadrunners. The roadrunners would get super excited, strutting about all proud of themselves with their hornworm.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
<slightly off topic but the above post reminded me of this>

My brother and his next door neighbor installed a huge pond in their backyards and stocked it with those Japanese Koi (fancy over prices gold fish). They had the electric pump and waterfall, the colored night lights, the fancy filters and such. They spared no expense on this pond and it really looked good for a while.

My brother used to brag about how "Some of those fish were 50 bucks each."

One day he was sitting on his back porch reading a magazine and drinking his morning coffee, when a Big Herron landed in the middle of his pond and ate about 4 or 5 of his fish. He ran down there and scared the bird away, but the next day there were 2 of them.

Today his pond is empty, his fish are gone, and his wife has planted a garden where the pond was.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
<slightly off topic but the above post reminded me of this>

My brother and his next door neighbor installed a huge pond in their backyards and stocked it with those Japanese Koi (fancy over prices gold fish). They had the electric pump and waterfall, the colored night lights, the fancy filters and such. They spared no expense on this pond and it really looked good for a while.

My brother used to brag about how "Some of those fish were 50 bucks each."

One day he was sitting on his back porch reading a magazine and drinking his morning coffee, when a Big Herron landed in the middle of his pond and ate about 4 or 5 of his fish. He ran down there and scared the bird away, but the next day there were 2 of them.

Today his pond is empty, his fish are gone, and his wife has planted a garden where the pond was.
Yeah we get people in at PetSmart who bought a bunch of fancy koi for their frequently-too-shallow pond only to have them eaten by local herons and raccoons, so they replace them with feeder fish a few times before giving up. I want a nice koi pond someday, but it'd definitely be inside a screened patio.

Also hornworms at PetSmart are a BARGAIN $3.29 each.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
HerpsOfNM
Karl... Thankfully he hadn't invested in some of the 5 figure and higher priced koi.

My snapper would ambush the occasional dove or grackle throughout the season, leaving only the wings when I'd discovered his hunting success.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
Karl_Mcknight
By the way, Gail posted a link showing a picture of a hornworm.

Below is a link showing what a hornworm turns into

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...-tCg0Q9QEIIDAA

Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
Dennis Cada
Yes!! I was so happy to get this thing at the reptile show for free rather than pay like $1.25 each!!

I've decided not to try to feed any to the snake but I might cut one up and feed it to four tiny tarantulas I got at the same show. I think most of them are dead anyway. :-(

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google