CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

10 day hold (or rather NOT held)

Old 10-28-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
Neumann
Question 10 day hold (or rather NOT held)

Greetings,

Since our new Okeetee spit out her meal on Sat. she's on the 10 day away plan. What I would like to know is what affect I can expect of her behavior after not handling her for 10 days? Shall I start over, handling her for 5 minutes a day? Previously we had handled her only three times but the pet store was handling her daily for the past month.

Opinions please?

Cheers,
Jason

Old 10-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
Steve H
I wouldn't handle her until you have her holding down her meals for a few feedings.
Handling them everyday can be stressful on them anyway.
She shouldn't change her attitude much by leaving her alone for awhile.
As long as you handle her occasionally (once or twice a week she should stay calm for you).

Old 10-29-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
limey
Handling hatchlings unless there calm is a bad idea fall stop. wait till they grow to the 4 - 6 month size and its much easier on you and the snake :-), and like steve says if a snake has regured his meal make sure hes had a few meals and kept them down b4 you go handling him/her

Old 10-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
CAV
I don't handle any of my hatchling during the first six months. They are generally much more agreeable once they reach 12 months, regardless of prior handling.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #5
bmm
I totally agree.

I hardly ever hold any of my snakes that are under a year old. Once they mature and get a little size on them the handling process is sooooo much easier on the snake and me! And it hsa made no differance in adult disposition. They calm down just as fast and easy.

bmm

Old 10-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
Neumann
Once again, thank you everyone for the information!

It sounds like it depends on the Snake's attitude as to whether or not they should be handled as hatchlings?

Ol' Ichabod our Anery who's 4-5 months old is totally agreeable to being held and has been mellow since we brought him home. He'll even down a pinky while he's still wrapped around our hand! You have place him in his feed box quickly or else hold him until he finishes his meal. For the last couple of weeks he rarely even flenches when we pick him up. It's like the little fella's in a coma half the time.

Our Okeetee Abigail is definitely the flighty one of the two but strangely she rarely hides and tends to spend most of her time in the front center of her viv. She's even active when we're watching her with the light on in the room. I think I'll guage her flightlyness during each consecutive feeding (placing her in the feed box) and use that to determine when SHE's ready to be handled. I guess I have to remember that snakes aren't domestic pets. The way ol' Ichabod carries on it easy to forget. He he!

Jason

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google