• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Coiling a Fuzzy

ArvadaLanee

Last night, when Nightmare was eating his fuzzy, he coiled around it, which he has never done before. I know corn snakes are constrictors, but I was still a little worried that he may have done this because his fuzzy was too big. It just seemed to take him a while to eat. The fuzzy was not really bigger than Nightmare at his widest part, so I thought he'd be fine. Is it normal behavior for corn snakes to start coiling their meals at a certain point, or is it kind of a random thing, or could he have been trying to squeeze the fuzzy because it was a tad too large for him? He hasn't regurged it or anything. I am just always curious when he does something new.

I have two who do it randomly from time to time. I don't know what triggers it, but it doesn't seem to be size. Maybe depending on how hungry they are, or how convincingly I dance it around. Ha ha
I love it when they do it though, I think it's so cute!

I think it depends on how your wriggle it, tough some don't do it either. Most people I see feeding snakes just let the mouse go at the snakes' strike. That doesn't encourage them to constrict. If they feel it's alive most probably they will start doing it.

In my experience, hatchling corns don't constrict because (this is me assuming) in the wild, pinky mice aren't running away from them anyway. It's normal for older snakes to constrict or not constrict, it varies between individuals. My first two snakes were about a year and a half when I got them, and they started coiling on hoppers. They constrict pretty aggressively now!

It's so interesting how much he is changing, and adding new behaviors. You kind of imagine a snake as being the same throughout it's life, but they really do have all these life phases that I didn't know anything about. It's so cool. :)

Back