CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Never see him

Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Peety87
Never see him

Hey, just got my corn snake last thursday, its about 4-5months old, the first day i got him he was very active exploring his new surroundings, since then i havent seen him at all, only time i see him is when i go looking for him lifting his moss up etc.. is this normal, its feeding time 2morro, wat will i do if he dosnt come out.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
bitsy
After an initial check for escape routes (!), all new arrivals will go to ground for a few days while they get used to the smells/sounds of their new home.

After that, you need to bear in mind that Corns aren't active during the day. Your best bet for seeing them out and about, is in the evening.

You shouldn't feed new arrivals for a week, as they are usually stressed and this can risk a regurge.

If he doesn't come out to be fed, you have to go and fetch him. They don't know when it's feeding time - just when they're hungry (and beware that this will seem like "most of the time"!).

Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Jcapicy
And try not to flinch too much if it strikes at you. This is normal for young corns especially when in a new home. They calm down pretty fast too.

Congrats and good luck!

Any chance on pics in the future?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Peety87
ok cool thanx for the quick reply, and another thing, my night time temp drops to around 65F i always turn my 60w bulb on all day then when i go to bed turn it off at night its that an ok temp for nite time? during the day ita round 80-83F

Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Peety87
hey Jcapicy, yea will post pics asap when i finally get to see him and comes out of hiding lol :P

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
diamondlil
With temperatures below 70 you'll be risking a regurge or respiratory infections. But as discussed before, with a stick-on dial your temperatures could be way off.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
snakewispera snr
Get a red bulb... they can't see red light so you can watch him at night...
MIKE

Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Jcapicy
And Walmart sells probe therms in the kitchen section for $13 and change if you can't find them anywhere else.

So far online for $6 seems to be the best deal going.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
hartsock
It's normal, you still got a baby there. Think about a normal clutch in the wild, not many make it to adulthood due to predators. Everything eats them. Baby corns are just shy out of instinct. All of mine that I have gotten as babies hide almost constantly, except for the ones in bins now (they have enough privacy that they only get in the hide if there is alot of activity in the room.) As your corn gets older, it will come out more and more.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Peety87
Cool, ok so i need to get myself a proper digital thermo and a thermostat asap, im from the UK any ideas on reasonably priced ones? thanx alot for the help guys, im newbie to corn snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google