CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Las Vegas Herping Help…

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
702marine
Cool Las Vegas Herping Help…

I was wondering if any of the members here that are from Las Vegas, NV could you please help me out with some good locations for a herping day they have had good luck at. Thank you…

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
tspuckler
I'm not from Vegas, but have been there quite a bit. Snakes are very hard to find in the daytime, especially in the summer. You're best bet would be roadcruising little-used roads at night.

If it's lizards you're looking for, Valley of Fire has Chuckwallas, Desert Iguanas and several smaller types.

Red Rock Canyon is also good for lizards (I found a tortoise there last year).

I have several years worth of herping Las Vegas photos on my website (simply click the "Herping USA" link at the bottom of the page).

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
cornsnakeforsale_com
Yeah, haven't been to Vegas for reptiles, but cruising at night is sure to bring up lots of stuff. The more remote and alone the better.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
nlt71
Red Rock is a great place for herping and just hiking. It's a state recreation area, so it costs a little to get in -- I think $5. Frenchman and Sunrise Mountains in east Las Vegas are also good if you turn over some rocks. There is also a pretty cool fossil bed there that allows you to collect.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
702marine
Lightbulb

I have lived in Las vegas for years and been to most of the places around here. But it is funny how when your not into something so much you just never see it. I have got the "BUG" now for herping and I want to retrace my footsteps to see all the stuff that was right under my nose all this time.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
702marine
Cool

I so wish I had more pics of all the crazy and stupid things we played with when I was in Iraq. When people are shooting at you playing with different herps and stuff that can kill you or really really hurt you dosent seem that bad... lol... Lots of good times...

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
ShenziSixaxis
This site may be of help. With Western Fence lizards, just look for a generic place a lizard would live in; lots of hides with a basking place. I catch 'em all the time up in Portola CA. The Med. Geckos, just turn on a light and they'll come get the bugs, I've heard.

If you come across an area that looks interesting or promising, check it out! I found more fence lizards and the occasional snake (garter, I think) at my grandfather's property by relying on my gut feeling than anything else.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
RavenSpirit360
Yep you can find things out here.. Although it is a little late for roadcruising around the lake and warmer areas.. Too hot at night now.. You can drive for hours and never see a thing.. The Mt Charleston area might still be a productive area to check out.. I havent been up there enough this year to see whats going on up there.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702marine View Post
I so wish I had more pics of all the crazy and stupid things we played with when I was in Iraq. When people are shooting at you playing with different herps and stuff that can kill you or really really hurt you dosent seem that bad... lol... Lots of good times...

I came close to stepping on a cobra in Afghanistan last year... It was fun..lol.. I fought the urge to go catch it...

Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Daniel
I've been living here in Las Vegas for 30 yrs., and my house is on the edge of town. My son catches lizards every weekend in the desert behind us...they are easy to find among the rocks. Snakes are hard, however. I've seen one Mojave Green, one long skinny snake of some kind, and heard the buzz of one rattler. I also moved a huge angry gila monster off the road at Lake Mead once... he really tore up my blanket. "Endangered" desert tortoises are very common reptiles. At sundown on the Northwest end of the valley you can find tarantulas on the road, and of course we brush scorpions off our steps fairly often. Last month a juvenile hawk found his way into our open garage, but escaped unharmed. The coyotes come after midnight looking for water from sprinklers. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
herping