CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

The Rough Life of a Turtle

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
ghosthousecorns
Great save! Makes you wonder if fishing line is the cause of her missing feet as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Nanci
Good save, Josh.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Floof
Yeah, I was thinking I only saw nubs in the two face shots, but the piece of bark in that first pic threw me off, too, lol. Just goes to show how resilient these animals are... To lose both front feet and still manage to thrive as a wild turtle. Awesome post. Thank you for sharing, Josh.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Outcast
This should be posted in all fishing forums as a reminder to why it is important to pick up your line if it breaks, or if you change it out...

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
This should be posted in all fishing forums as a reminder to why it is important to pick up your line if it breaks, or if you change it out...
I get so mad, every time Mick and I go fishing we find line, hooks, weights all left in tangles. Of course you can always have a big fish break your line in an accident, but most of the time how we find it it's obvious it's been dumped and left behind by people who just don't care how dangerous it is for wildlife

Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I get so mad, every time Mick and I go fishing we find line, hooks, weights all left in tangles. Of course you can always have a big fish break your line in an accident, but most of the time how we find it it's obvious it's been dumped and left behind by people who just don't care how dangerous it is for wildlife
It is one of the reasons that it is getting harder and harder to go fishing around here, other than being in a desert. No one wants someones lines or beer cans left on their property down by the river.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
Karoni
Thank you, Josh!!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
hypnoctopus
I once found a duckling caught in some fishing line. It actually had a fish hook in it too. I managed to free it and luckily the rest of the duck family was still around and the little guy took off like a bullet towards them.

That's such a cute turtle, thanks for untangling it.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
tspuckler
Ouch! Turtles are true survivors and I admire them for that.

A few years ago I was herping in Northern California and I saw this Fence Lizard that was running kind of funny. It turns out that both its back feet had been burned off in a fire, though it seemed to be carrying out its life as "normal" as possible.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
crackerhead
I had two of my box turtles maimed by a neighbor's dog years ago. I use to keep them in an outside enclosure in my backyard during the summer. The fencing was buried 3ft deep to keep the turtles from digging out and it was 5ft above ground with netting on top to keep everything else out. Obviously this was not enough for a determined dog. He jumped the fence and then chewed a hole in the netting. Once he caught each turtle he chewed their legs off. Luckily he only caught two. When I found them each was missing two legs. One lost both on the right side of her body. The other lost alternating front and back. After cleaning lots of maggots out of the wounds, trimming bone and ragged skin, I was able to suture what was left and administer antibiotics. It was touch and go for about a month but they made a full recovery. And seemed no worse for the wear. I made rollers that I epoxied to their plastron so they could get around easier. They are tough little creatures!

I'm glad you found her and helped Josh. That's no way to go through life. I bet she would say thanks if she could.

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google