CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Can anyone ID this?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
admitchell08
Can anyone ID this?

I saw this guy on the side of the road when I was driving home from the movies not too long ago.
Even though I live in the Texas Panhandle where there are wild herps gallore, I've never stumbled upon a snake. So, I turned the car around, parked on an adjacent road and walked to find this guy. Obviously he was dead (unless he was faking it?), but there were no visible injuries or defects at all to him. He was just laying there lifeless. Of course I didn't have my DSLR with me so I had to use my cell phone to take a picture, so obviously the quality is not that great.
Anyways, this was a pretty exciting experience for me. I've always wanted to go road cruising, but I would have absolutely no idea what I was doing. So I'm probably gonna do a little research on it to find out the ideal conditions to be able to succeed in this. Does anyone have any reading material (preferably a website) that they can suggest?
Oh yeah...I got so wrapped up in my rambling that I almost forgot about the picture. Can anyone ID it just from this cruddy cell phone picture?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: And just an FYI -- Yes, I am extremely inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. So if this is a stupid question and it is completely obvious what this snake is, I'm sorry! I'm learning!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
VickyChaiTea
No idea, I'm sure someone else will know, though!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
tspuckler
That's a Bull Snake.

Tim

Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Chip
^^^ ^^^Yep.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
admitchell08
Thanks guys. I apprecaite it!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Allison
Yep, bull snake. Pituophis are one of the best species around in my opinion!

Too bad he/she was hit....

Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
vetusvates
I used to do it as a teen in the late 1970's, and with my college professors in the early 1980's---night driving. Loved it.
Sunset to midnight in Spring/Fall...road warms them up to hunt, when environment still a little cool.
Sundown to sunup in Summer...summers are so hot, besides the normally nocturnal snakes, the borderline nocturnal ones only come out at night time, too.
Look for what would be prime snake habitat (for target captures). Country roads less travelled. You'll like bagging live ones better than dead ones.
Take a buddy or girlfriend, and be careful. Chasing a fleeing snake in the headlights impairs your vision, too. Don't want any poisonous snakes hanging from your arms and legs.
RavenSpirit360 and Tyflier do it a lot. They might have better suggestions for desert or arid type environs.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
RobbiesCornField
Find an area near a constant water supply, and an area with lots of rocks/covering/hidey-holes.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
admitchell08
Thanks for the info, guys.
I really appreciate it!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
vetusvates
Your welcome. I've brought home lots of other things, in this manner, too. LOL.
Tarantulas. Red eft stage of red-spotted newt...and I mean red crayon "red".
A dry spell, followed by some heavy rains...brings all the critters out to celebrate, too.

EDIT : of course, in the hot summer evening....there is nothing like an iced six-pack, just along for the ride, of course. But I'm sure laws are different now than they were 30 years ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google