CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Trundlefart" Replacement Name Suggestions

Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Susan
"Trundlefart" Replacement Name Suggestions

As a result of all the confusion about what to call a corn snake that is carrying one motley and one stripe gene so that is it easily understood, the joke name of "trundlefart" has recently been adopted by several breeders even though it was never meant to stick. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the meaning behind the name is being understood, the name itself is not aesthetically pleasing. Therefore, lets see if something else can be found.

I know that this forum is not the end-all of the corn snake world so I will post this on the 2 more popular corn snake forums I know of and if others can post it on any other forums they feel necessary, we'll see what responses we get and hopefully can generate a poll to find a new name.

I'll try to keep a list of suggested names here in the first post for easy reference:

Variegated Motley
Mosaic
Potpourri
Motley-Stripe Quilt (Quilt to make it very short)
Pastiche
Puzzle
Motley-Stripe or Stripe-Motley (But what about the pin-striped motley, often called striped motley, that is homozygous motley? All it would take is for someone to forget the dash. This is where the confusion lies.)
Motley/Stripe (Can potentially have the same problem as Motley-Stripe.)
Motley het Stripe (Again, some confusion as it implies homozygous motley and heterozygous stripe...3 genes involved, not 2.)
Het Motley Het Stripe (Still some confusion to those that don't understand that motley and stripe are alleles and located on the same locus and when paired, show the phenotype of motley.)

Yes, education is the key, but I can say from personal experience, using the term "trundlefart" HAS helped as it was different, causing people to ask and learn the relationship between motley and stripe.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
codymi
hhmm...stripely...

Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Nanci
Motley + Stripe Anything else leads to confusion.

I'm probably the person MOST irritated by the term trundlefart.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Tom Tuttle
I like trundlefart much more than any of the suggested names!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Mark Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Motley + Stripe Anything else leads to confusion.

I'm probably the person MOST irritated by the term trundlefart.
I know what you mean. I use to love that morph. But that name is so God awful disgusting I can't even look at one anymore.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn_Oasis View Post
I know what you mean. I use to love that morph. But that name is so God awful disgusting I can't even look at one anymore.
Guess it's time to bring back vomitmel. Now that's a disgusting name that was in use for quite some time.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
rich333
Personally....

I like Motley-Stripe or Stripe-Motley....

Simple,To the Point,Accurate.

Anery Caramel Motley Stripe. <--- No confusion

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
loyalsissaly84
I have a ghost stripe/motley corn baby that was purchased at an expo that someone brought it to my attention that it was called a trundlefart as a joke. But what about calling it a tornado? Or is that taken? It has the stripe that goes down and it turns into little circles or blocks. I don't know how to explain it but just a thought, but my little ghost is one of my favs. She looks so uniquely different that I cant keep my eyes off her most of the time.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
GoFride
I would like to propose using the name "pastiche" (definition; a work of art formed from disparate sources).

Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
LGRIGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFride View Post
I would like to propose using the name "pastiche" (definition; a work of art formed from disparate sources).
While I've always enjoyed a good fart joke, I'm not fond of referring to something beautiful as "anything fart". I like pastiche(i'm an artist http://www.freewebs.com/theblueladybug/ as well as a confirmed critter lover.) and I also like quilt. I hope the fart name will change. Lynn