CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Regurgitation crisis - (another newbie with some additional questions)

Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
brixia
Unhappy Regurgitation crisis - (another newbie with some additional questions)

Hey folks,
I am very new to the site, but have been reading threads and using the info on here for the past couple months while preparing to get my snake. Thank you for all your guidance thus far!

Having a regurgitation crisis! (I hadn't realized until it happened that this was a possible issue, especially not with this degree of severity.)
I've read quite a few of the other Regurgitation threads and have gathered lots of good advice. I just have a few additional questions I haven't seen covered elsewhere.

Here's what's up:

I got a 10-12 weeks old cornsnake from a local shop where the owner is very experiences and breed and hatches all his snakes (and chameleons and other reptile friends). This guy is humble and helpful and pretty much seems to lives reptiles, which is why I chose to buy there. I spent time with this one snake every week for 3 weeks before bringing her home.

I left her alone for the first week so she could get settled in.
I fed her a small pinky 7 days after her last feed.
No issues.

This week I fed her for the 2nd time, and the next day I found the pinky regurgitated.

I've been reading all sorts of threads and advice on here, but I have a few outstanding questions which I would like to put out there:

- I (mistakenly, now I know not to!) defrosted the pinky in boiling water, then cooled it off for a couple min and fed it. I know this is not the thing to do now, and I understand it can cause problems. Is there anyway to know whether this has hurt the snake or advice on how to help heal this mistake? Did it get scalded?

- It had become very very cold this week (In toronto, Canada) and our house has been much colder than usual (having some heating issues). Our room temperature has gone down to 16 degrees celsius or about 60-62F for the past 3 days! The snake is in a 20gallon aquarium with a heat pad on the bottom of one side. On the warm side of the enclosure, it has dropped down the 72 F, which I know is not warm enough (previously it was 82F in the warm area). I've been using a regular lamp and the snake is by a window (no heat lamp). (after seeing the regurgitation) I have now moved the snake away from the window, closer to the radiator and am working to fix my heating problems (landlords!)... Any advice on how to assess or remedy cold stress for my snake? Is this the cause of the regurgitation (seems likely!!)

- last question ; I read online that if the snake is feeling distressed and regurgitating, it can be helpful to put its tank temporarily in a low-traffic dark isolated area, such as a closet, in order for it to feel relaxed again. what do you think of this advice? Should i cover the tank with a light blanket to help keep the radiator heat in and help the snake feel less exposed? or is that a bad idea?

MUCH APPRECIATION FOR YOU INPUT!
I am very concerned for my new little friend, whom I assumed would be with me for the next decade or two! I am hoping that I can make the right choices now to fix the situation.
Good luck to anyone and everyone dealing with regurgitation issues. I wish you well!

brixia

Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
obboi34
there's a sticky with better advice than i can give on what to do about regurges. you might need to wait longer than usual between feedings and try a smaller food item, even if that means cutting the prey in half (while frozen). I'd say the cold temps can defo be a factor as it puts many temperate species off feed. Make sure your thermostat is working properly to heat your enclosure. Without one your snake may have to choose between an area that is too hot and an area that is too cold. She may also be in blue.

Tags
new owner, newborn, regurgitation