CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"rescued" snake has weird eye?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
jessicashallperish
"rescued" snake has weird eye?

someone posted an ad for two free snow corn snakes. we went and picked them up, as we had tried to buy these snakes before (for next to nothing because the woman was NOT caring for them right..wrong bedding,cohabbing,stuck sheds..) i'm not sure why she gave them up..but im glad she did. for one, the one i'm posting a picture of, had to have the end of her tail amputated due to stuck shed.. the male had LAYERS of stuck sheds and has something sticky and black down his back. i consider them rescues due to the neglect they had. poor guys. anywho, this female i noticed has a weird eye. its tiny and appears to be non visual. i'm guessing its just a genetic/birth defect. what do you think of it?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
MotleyCrue
Kudos for the rescue. They are lucky you found them.

The eye definitely does not look right. It could be genetic. Or the larger one could be slightly swollen. With the situation you found them in who knows. It doesn't look like it bothers the snake and it doesn't look like a retained eyecap, so I wouldn't worry. Just my .02

Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
jessicashallperish
the smaller eye doesnt appear to have an iris. just a pupil. it doesnt dialate either.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
BloodyBaroness
I would say defect of some kind. Hard to tell if it's genetic or incubation related though.

Best advice is to not breed animals with defects like that, if it is genetic that is not something that needs to be passed on. (Not that I'm saying you were planning on breeding.)

Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
jessicashallperish
naw not planning on breeding this lady, she'll either be a life long "display" pet or i'll rehome her to someone who wants a "unique" pet if i decide to get rid of her once her tail heals and i know shes not harboring some type of disease.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Pugsley
Good job Jessica. Best of luck with them.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Kate
Good job saving the babies!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
EmbersMom
Awww, bless you for taking in these babies and doing what is best for them. Some people just don't deserve to have animals!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google