CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Prey Size?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
GarethUnsworth
Prey Size?

I am wondering what size prey I should feed my snake. I have heard of the munson plan, but I do not weigh my snake. I am also aware of the 1.5 times the size of thickest part of the snake. Any other rules of thumb? or, and I know this sounds stupid but, tricks on how to weigh a snake? LOL

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
GarethUnsworth
Also, I feed my snake in a seperate vivarium and I am wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips on how to put the snake back into its home after?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Pugsley
Hey Gareth! I don't have anyother rules than what you've already mentioned. If your snake is 2.5 years old and 3.5 feet long, I'd guess that it should be eating adult size mice. Can you post a picture of the snake, maybe with you holding it? That way its size can be judged compared to your hands.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
bitsy
I go by the 1.5 x body width guide, and whether the food leaves a lump in the belly for 24-48 hours. If the lump goes down within 24 hours of feeding, then it might be time to increase food size. That's until they get onto adult mice, at which point the vast majority of Corns will never need anything larger.

Also, remember that as food size increases, you need to space feeding out more. That's to allow their digestion time to work properly and avoid them putting on flab rather than muscle. It's surprisingly easy to overfeed a Corn in captivity.

I feed in plastic feeding tanks, so I just kind of tip-and-slide them back into their home vivs. But if you need to pick them up then that's OK as long as you're gentle and fast. It's recommended that they're not handled for 48 hours after feeding to avoid a regurge, but this refers to "recreational" handling sessions, rather than that quick move back home.

Generally my lot will be very still immediately after swallowing, then after a few minutes they'll become active and start looking for a way out of the feeding tank. That's my cue to get them back in their home tank.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
GarethUnsworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
I go by the 1.5 x body width guide, and whether the food leaves a lump in the belly for 24-48 hours. If the lump goes down within 24 hours of feeding, then it might be time to increase food size. That's until they get onto adult mice, at which point the vast majority of Corns will never need anything larger.

Also, remember that as food size increases, you need to space feeding out more. That's to allow their digestion time to work properly and avoid them putting on flab rather than muscle. It's surprisingly easy to overfeed a Corn in captivity.

I feed in plastic feeding tanks, so I just kind of tip-and-slide them back into their home vivs. But if you need to pick them up then that's OK as long as you're gentle and fast. It's recommended that they're not handled for 48 hours after feeding to avoid a regurge, but this refers to "recreational" handling sessions, rather than that quick move back home.

Generally my lot will be very still immediately after swallowing, then after a few minutes they'll become active and start looking for a way out of the feeding tank. That's my cue to get them back in their home tank.
Okay I do feed adults, however the lump does not stay that long. I am going to try upgrading and see if that helps. I will also pick her up shortly after feedin and put her home. I have tried the slide technique but she is stubborn and holds on tight to the feeding viv. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
bitsy
When you say upgrading will help, what is it that you're trying to help? I perhaps wasn't clear - adult mice don't need to leave a lump for that 24 hours, as they're the maximum size that Corns should need (unless they're six foot monsters!). You can't keep increasing food size with Corns - there's a point where they're on the "right" sized food for an adult Corn, and adult mice are that point. They'll be fine for the rest of their lives.

I share your pain with the feeding tank. After the fuss some can make about going in (swiftly resolved by finding dinner), you'd think they'd be only too keen to get back under their usual hide for a snooze and some digestion. I think Corns are just contrary sometimes...!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
GarethUnsworth
I meant it might help to make her less antsy in her cage. But I am starting to gather that that is normal.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
bitsy
Yep, some Corns (I'd say probably most) retain a level of defensive behaviour when someone puts their hand in the tank. I only have a couple which will *sometimes* come towards me of their own accord. Most will try and avoid being picked up, but once outside the living tank they figure out that I'm not going to eat them after all and calm down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google