CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Sand Color

Old 10-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Haarstad
Sand Color

I have a normal corn snake and i have white sand, It's time for new sand and i was wondering if any of you knows what sand would bring out the color in my snake better, just let me know what you think

Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
pridecity
Sand really isn't recommended for corn snakes. Ideally, you should switch over to aspen bedding. Sand can cause impaction and can dry the snake out too much, which causes shedding problems. Aspen bedding is preferred because pine and cedar release oils that can make the snake sick or even kill it. Cedar really shouldn't be used for anything except furniture. Some people use Eco Earth, which is coconut husks and is very nice to look at. It's relatively cheap, but the cheapest is aspen. You can get shredded aspen at feed stores for a few dollars. Pet stores are usually really expensive and you don't get as much for your money.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
psychoprimate84
Sand isn't a very good substrate. It tends to be very dusty and dries out the air in the terrarium. Try using newspaper or aspen bedding. These tend to be cheaper and do not dry out the air as much. If you use a good brand of aspen, it also isn't so dusty. Even coconut husk shred or bark should be ok as long as you shake out the dust and keep it lightly misted (I think it brings out the color of lighter colored corns too). Dust and dry air can lead to respiratory infections. I know you want the snakes enclosure to look nice, but it can still look nice with proper substrate as well as be healthier for the snake.
PS-Pine and Ceder def are not good substrates due to toxic oils and are bad for the snakes respiratory system.
I am sure some of the other good ppl on the forum can suggest other types of better substrate that looks nice as well is safe for corn snakes.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
psychoprimate84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridecity View Post
Sand really isn't recommended for corn snakes. Ideally, you should switch over to aspen bedding. Sand can cause impaction and can dry the snake out too much, which causes shedding problems. Aspen bedding is preferred because pine and cedar release oils that can make the snake sick or even kill it. Cedar really shouldn't be used for anything except furniture. Some people use Eco Earth, which is coconut husks and is very nice to look at. It's relatively cheap, but the cheapest is aspen. You can get shredded aspen at feed stores for a few dollars. Pet stores are usually really expensive and you don't get as much for your money.
Haha you beat me to it!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Haarstad
hmmmm, he's never had problems with shedding and he seems to like the sand (he can hide good in it) and it disperses heat good from the heat pad... I'm gonna take your advice but i am kinda bummin cause it's easy to clean the "droppings" out of the cage (works like kitty littler) plus it just looks good

But i don't wanna hurt the lil guy so i'm gonna take your advice

The coconut stuff or aspen sounds good to me

Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Fatman608
To answer your question -- BLUE.

If you can find it.

Love the Fatman

P.S. The advice above mine is good advice.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Rdoyle
also I dont if this was said but it can get between the scales and case a infection from it rubbing.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Haarstad
Just because I haven't had problems, doesn't mean I won't... So I'm not going to use sand and thanks fatman, I heard about the blue thing so does anyone know of any blue stuff that I could use that won't hurt him and won't look "cheesy" if you know what I mean... I don't wanna use blue paper as an example, I want it to look nice and thank you for your help so far

Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #9
Bammer
what about a good sized blue gravel.. I have seen aquarium gravel that was colored and about the size of a "skittle" ...

Old 10-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
bitsy
Gravel has the same problems as sand in terms of smaller fragments potentially getting caught under scales and causing infection. Best stick to wood-type substrates.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
bedding