CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

When to call it quits?

Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
firfly
When to call it quits?

Alright, so I have non-feeder at the moment, and he still refuses to feed on his own. I have tryed every trick that I can find mentioned here and on the internet, he just flat refuses to eat on his own. He has had no regurges from forced feedings, normal BM, drinks water, and continues to gain both size and weight, and yet refuses food on his own. Is it ok to continue or there a point in time when nothing can be done? Its not in my nature to give up or surrender. I can do this as long as he can, but being fairly new to snakes, I figured it better to ask. I figured on trying until he either quit gaining weight, and became to sick or was suffering in which case, I would put him down, however this is not the case todate.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
beautifullywild77
Personally, I would keep trying. There is a member here that deals a lot with non feeders and she has force feed for a few months before they finally start eating!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Nanci
As long as he is gaining weight, never...

Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
MysticExotics
If you're willing to continue, & he is growing, I'd say keep going.
I have a friend (local breeder) who has a snake that he fed anoles to (she wouln't eat anything else) for over a year, & she was a really slow grower. She's now full grown & eating mice.

Have you tried anole shed on a washed pinky? That is one trick that got my most stubborn problem feeder to start eating pinkies. After washing the pinky, I put a small piece of the shed on the nose of the pinky (using tongs, so I didn't get my scent on either).

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
firfly
Ive tried anole, scenting, live, brained, chicken broth, tuna scent, etc I am glad to hear its not a lost cause.Just needex to hear from others thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
icejd7
This is going to sound a little weird but I have an 8 gram anery that refused to eat for several weeks. I would put her in a opaque deli cup with a pinky and all she would do is nip at the mouse leg/arm and that's it.

Finally being desperate, a cut off the head of pinky (frozen/thawed), and attempted again to feed by tongs, and by leaving it in deli cup but no good. Here is the strange part, my 11 y/o kept insisting to let her do the feeding so she picks up the tongs and places the pinky head in front of the snake and *bamm*, she locks onto the head and devours it. The pinky body was a different story, the snake ignored it but at least we know the snake has something inside of her since we did not know when the last time she ate. This made us both laugh since my daughter always goofs on me how all of the snakes act out on me and are docile with her.... GREAT!

p.s. we also changed the company of the pinkies and fed her one from the new company.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
AliCat37
My friend who I bought all my original babies from tries for a year with non-feeders.
I'd keep trying if I were you.
Have you taken him for a trip in the car?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Tavia
I've heard that sometimes a car trip or being put on top of the dryer for a cycle can for some reason stimulate appetite and get non feeders going.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
diamondlil
It took months for my troublesome snow hatchling Diamond Lil to graduate from syringe-feeding to independent F/T feeding. The trick that finally worked for her was freshly washed live pinkies, and even then she was hit and miss for a good while longer. Personally I was on a roller coaster of emotions and the support from here really helped me keep hope. She's a big healthy adult now, 7 years old and a first-time mom!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
schnebbles
Gosh, I was hoping to come find out he was eating! Sorry I gave you trouble

I would keep trying, I know it's very frustrating. I think I told you I had a friend who had non-feeders that I kept for at least a month, never got them to eat, but a couple of them finally did eat for her after a while. I agree, if he's gaining weight definitely keep trying! They can go so long with no food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google