CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Scale rot or injury?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Dakota314
Scale rot or injury?

Background: I got Nina off of craigslist about 3 years ago. Her first couple of sheds were bad, but since has had decent to perfect sheds. She eats f/t every week, besides breeding season when she refuses, and last week she ate for the first time in 3 months. She is on aspen shavings, using a UTH with dimmer switch, measuring temps with a digtial thermometer with probe. Temp on warm side ranges from 82-86, temp on cool side is 72. Always has fresh water, and has been very active lately because of breeding season, but has calmed down since she ate. She was soaking in her water a lot over the past couple of weeks. I checked her and her water for mites, but she is mite free.

Today while holding her, I noticed she has some scale issues going on on her belly. It looks like it could be a minor case of scale rot from the pictures I've seen. Some of her scales have a kind of brownish dot, and on a few it looks like they are eroding for lack of better word. Here are the best pictures I could get of her, does anyone know?

This is the worst area

Old 06-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Dakota314
Anyone have any thoughts at all?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
alden113941
Im no vet but i dont think thats an injury
One of my corn snakes has a scab on it belly and it looks nothing like that

Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
bitsy
When mine got scale rot, it showed first on the leading edges of the belly scales like that. However if it *is* scale rot (and it does look like it to me), then you've caught it very early on.

To treat it in your situation, I'd discourage her from soaking by using a much smaller water dish - high humidity can encourage it and might have caused the problem. As I understand it, it's bacterial and the bacteria occur naturally in damp or humid conditions - it's an overgrowth which causes the rot. What I did was to swap to a newspaper substrate and change it every couple of days or as soon as it was soiled. Switched to disinfectable or disposable hides and disinfected/disposed of them every couple of days. Make sure you wipe the snake down with something antibacterial and snake-safe as well - I used Betadine.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Dakota314
Thanks Bitsy. The humidity is only about 30% in their room. Luckily my mom works at the newspaper, so I can get plenty of that. Would simple box hides work, so I can just throw them out every couple of days? Where can I get Betadine?

She went into blue a couple of days ago, so hopefully it will look better after, otherwise I will start treating her.

So, switch to newspaper, cardboard hides, simple set up, smaller water dish, get Betadine.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Dakota314
Oh, and once she is recovered, can I disenfect all her old stuf and put it back in her viv?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
bitsy
I'm in the UK so not sure where you'd get Betadine in the US. Here, it's an all-purpose thing used for other animals, so I'm guessing you could buy it from a vet, a reptile store or online.

If it's scale rot, then you can expect her to go into a more rapid shed cycle as she starts to heal. Hopefull it'll help the process. You might even find with patches that small, that the new skin is OK.

As for re-using the old fittings - yes, I did, as long as I was sure that they were completely disinfected and dry. I put plastic foliage in a bucket and soaked it for 24 hours then left it hanging up to dry for a week. Things like cork bark can be a nuisance as it's so full of nooks and crannies and floats! That had to be weighed down in a Betadine solution in the bath overnight.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
ceduke
Just a random FYI, I work in a feed store and we sell a ton of betadine.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Dakota314
Thanks guys, I'll have to look online and see who has it. My mom is bringing me some newspaper from work today, so I'll get her tank set up tonight. Hopefully it's not too rough on my girl.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
sarae
i bought my betadine at the drugstore.

my ratsnake had a case of rot like that and I cleaned the areas with chlorhexadine (nolvasan, i got it from a vet) daily. When he shed all the bad spots came off. Such a relief!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google