CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Do I need to change wet bedding?

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Athena_Cornsnake
Exclamation Do I need to change wet bedding?

If my snake manages to flip her water bowl, do I need to change her bedding? I have her on aspen if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
too much moisture can be just as bad as too little.

The high humidity is not necessarily the problem though. The problem would be mold or fungus.

To be on the safe side, if it was me, I'd mop up the spill and put in dry fresh aspen.

ummm...... actually I don't use Aspen anymore so strike that. But you get my drift.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Athena_Cornsnake
Thank you! I appreciate it.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
DLena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
ummm...... actually I don't use Aspen anymore so strike that. But you get my drift.
Why did you switch off of aspen? What are you using instead? Pros/cons for viv set up and Rufus?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
Nanci
Aspen will mold if it's wet. But other things like CareFresh mold faster.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
DLena, I used folded newspapers for many years. Aspen is relatively new for snake bedding. Anyway I tried it for a while and I just didn't like it.

So right now I use Reptile Carpet. I have 2 pieces the size of the cage. When one gets dirty I take it out and put in the clean piece. I clean the dirty one and set it aside for next time. That way I always have a clean piece waiting.

It's easy to clean, drips dry in about a day, and I've been using the same 2 pieces now for almost a year. I don't have to keep buying aspen anymore and I don't have to subscribe to a newspaper that I'll never read.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
DLena
So you don't use stand-up plants? ...since there's nothing to anchor them with? I have some as well as leafy vines that I have suction cupped to the walls and ceiling for the 3 in the NPI stackable vivs. Does Rufus miss burrowing? Thanks for sharing the info.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
jagodzinski
I definitely agree to change wet bedding ASAP, it can grow off mold and just in general, its probably not very comfortable to be burrowing through wet bedding.

As to what Karl_McKnight said, I also switched off aspen a little over a year ago. I use thick papertowel layers, enough that Jag can still "burrow" between the layers. I switched at the recommendation of my vet who felt that the chance of impaction, albeit very, very, very small was not worth it. One thing I do once in a while though, is shred some papertowels into strips that Jag can burrow in. Also, I have plants that go in sometimes that have a suction cup and then drape on the ground so she can go under there. And having lots of other hides and things trees to provide coverage seem to make Jag feel comfortable and secure enough. I didn't notice anything different about her behavior when I switched her off aspen either.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
Snakes burrow because we let them.

Rufus has lots of Hiding places, and I doubt he even thinks about burrowing.

I have a "Cave hide" in his cage and I keep it full of sphagnum moss, so any time the urge to burrow hits him he can go in there.

I've commented before, I used to catch corn snakes as a teen. And most of the ones we caught we found under logs, in old barns, under rock ledges along the lake. I have never caught a wild corn snake in a field of shredded Aspen. LOL.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
jessmarie
Wet bedding can cause scale rot as well if left too long. If the snake can get away from the wet portions, the only concern is mold growth. Mine are on paper towels, so when they flip their bowl, the whole tub is soaked and most of time there is water standing, so I HAVE to change mine Lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
bedding, healthcare