CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Petco find... beautiful!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
1TimeMoM
Petco find... beautiful!

I went to petco today lookg round cuz my boyfriend is buying me a new baby for my bday next mnth.. well they have some lil bitty ones ( new batch ) ur regular amels some gorgeous anerys ( which Im thinking im goin get ) and 2 normal/classics... one of the normal/classics has the normal pattern with the saddles and spots on the side.. the other is gorgeous it has the saddles and the stripies on the side kinda looks like the zipper pattern but on the sides.. is that common? I love the look but unfortunately Im not a fan of the normal/classic color...

Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
airenlow
Could it have been a Motley pattern? They can have a broken stripe running down their sides.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Zulu3
Pictures would help, but the "zipperish" look on the sides is common among normals. I would go with a nice anery or amel. But these days almost all "normal" corns have some sorts of hets mixed in there. So you never know. =)

That wasn't much help at all was it lol?

Ali

Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Zulu3
oooh mot?

yes that could be it, here is a pic of my lavender anery mot you can kind of see a "zipper"

Name:  Basil.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  29.2 KB

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Pruddock
I wouldn't doubt if it might be a motley. I've seen some mots at our local PetCo from time to time while I'm in there getting lives for my WC. Pictures would definitely help even if they're from a camera phone

Skippy

Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Floof
Was its belly clear (no checkers)? If so, it may very well be a motley. Otherwise, the "side pattern" usually associated with motley/stripe can be seen in normals.. My amel hatchlings have "motley" sides, but none of them are more than het for either trait. Hope this helps.

Do you mind my asking, though, why you want to get a Petco baby instead of looking for a local breeder (who knows what they're doing)? Most Petcos (among other stores) are terrible at taking care of their snakes. Chances are high that the snake will be ill, non-feeding (i.e. freshly hatched), and/or carrying mites. Not trying to pry/scold/judge or anything of the sort, just wondering... =)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Zulu3
Although this is true, I have aquired several snakes from petco perfectly healthy good eating little guys. So don't completely rule it out. But be aware of the risks. Sometimes you can get a really good catch for a good price (and without paying shipping) there.

Just quarantine any new snake you have for about a month and make sure everything is clear, well, eating etc. You'll be fine =)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Pruddock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu3 View Post
Just quarantine any new snake you have for about a month and make sure everything is clear, well, eating etc. You'll be fine =)
I second that!

Skippy

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
1TimeMoM
Its belly had black checkers on him.. I wasnt able to snap shots of it.. the guy wasnt the nicest... whiskey is a petco snake and he is like the freaking best.. I love him to death.. There is also a individually owned pet store not far from my boyfriends house that may have cornsnakes he is calling tomorrow to inquire on that and I may take a ride there before i go to petco... It just struck me as odd.. though he is gorgeous i just dont care for the normal/classic color just looks to much as something id find in my yard id rather something diffrent

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
haydnrobinson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruddock View Post
I second that!

Skippy
I might quarantine a snake for 6 months- the longer the better for the snake and if you want to look after the little guys it shouldn't make any difference to you. The Love/Love book certainly suggests more than a month, and I SWEAR by that book!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google