CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Anery A and Anery B in the same animal?

Old 06-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
13mur 6
Question Anery A and Anery B in the same animal?

Do Anery A+B animals exist? That is possible right? Since it's only 2 recessive genes. Anyone possibly have a pic of one?

-13mur 6

Old 06-01-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
13mur 6
What about hypo blizzards/snows? Are those those pearl corns?

Or Hypo Amels?

Old 06-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
Clint Boyer
Anery A and B........

I may have produced them in the past and I may produce some again this year. When I cross my female Charcoal het snow with my Snow het Blizzard, I get 6 different morphs:

normal
amel
Charcoal
anery A
Snow
Blizzard

The tricky part is knowing if anery type A cancels out (or overrides) type B or Vice versa. Are some of the Snows also Charcoal or are some of the Blizzards also anery A?
When looking at the A's and B's there is no way to tell if if they are also displaying the other gene. I can't make that call by using the number of one or the other as a marker, the odds are just not that consistant.
In other words.........I don't know
But I don't think you will see a NEW morph emerge from that combination.

Oh, as far as hypo Snows and Blizzards, some say that the hypo gene will help produce Coral or more colorful Snows. I don't know about Blizzards.
And Some also combine hypo and amel to produce Sunglow or No-white amels.

Pearl? I've heard that name applied to a Blizzard-like snake in the past. The genetic make-up of the original is unknown but thought to be a patternless Opal or amelanistic Lavender. I don't know of anyone producing those using that name.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
13mur 6
Hmm... (scratches head)

Is an Anery A animal extractable from an Anery B? or vice versa? NEone ever get an odd charcoal from a Anery A pairing? Or an Anery A out of a charcoal pairing?

I guess that'd be my first project if it ever comes to it.

Also, what causes that black overwash on some wild corns? I mean like real dark muddy overwash, makes em look like they ran through a newspaper printing press. I've also got a few normals with dark stripes running down their backs.

-13mur 6

Old 06-02-2003, 03:14 AM   #5
Serpwidgets
IIRC, Clint also mentioned breeding a pair of snows together and getting blizzards out of the clutch. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't want to put words in your mouth.) I think he also said that the blizzards weren't quite as blizzard-y as would be expected with "standard" blizzards (more noticeable patterning, I think?)

I think what can be guessed is that, at least in the presence of amelanism, Charcoal suppresses the expression of Anery, or partially supresses it. In the second case, this would mean that CharcoalAnerys would look like something "between" a charcoal and an Anery. And it seems like enough of the "standard" ones of either morph already do, so much so that it would be impossible to distinguish the double-mutant from either single morph. (?)

Other tests for this could include pewters het anery, AneryBloods het pewter, and Charcoal Ghosts het anery and ghosts het charcoal, as these would probably be more distinguishable from each other.

I'm not quite sure what could be gained from Anery/Charcoal combinations, though. I think the one safe assumption is that they won't be anything "new" or we'd have seen that by now.

What I find more interesting is which combinations of "anery-like" traits (Anery, Charcoal, Lav, Caramel) might actually look like neither of the single morphs.

This is where something "new" could be created. But there are only 6 double-combinations to be made, and 4 of them look like they have already proven uninteresting:
Anery + Charcoal (shrug, but they're not "new")
Anery + Caramel (Look like Anerys)
Anery + Lavender (looks like one or the other, don't remember which way)
Caramel + Lavender (probable that they have been produced, but nothing "new" has shown up.)

The two remaining "unexplored" combos (as far as I know) are:
Charcoal + Lav
Charcoal + Caramel

Of course this is only what I've been able to gather, and is based on hearsay, so it's not admissable in court, and you should take it with a grain of salt.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Clint Boyer
You are right, Serp!

I did produce Snows and Blizzards from Snows het Charcoal. So it does 'appear' that Charcoal dominates anery 'A'. They did appear to have some patterning but not much more then some of the others in the Charcoal clutch. BUT....it is possible that the patterned ones in the Charcoal clutch were also anery 'A'!

I'm sure we've seen snakes homozygous for both traits and were just not able to distinguish the differences. It would be a good project to do if you just wanted to prove it to yourself.

Last year I crossed a male Lav with a Snow and produced a bunch of anerys. I've kept several as a project to see what those produce. Those are in the care of Doug and Jeff of the Lazy Slither Ranch. Doug will get them up to breeding size in no time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google