• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2" clay pot hides from Michaels $.69 ea

Nroc

UnRegistered User
It took her a day to warm up to these hides, but it seems that she loves them. She's been spotted in both of the new clay pots, and I haven't seen her go into the larger hides since. I may give her 2 more of the clay pots, and remove the others. I also bought 2 of the 3" pots from Michaels for later when she grows up a bit.

The drain hole seemed small to me, so I opened it up a bit with my Dremmel and a grinding bit. I then ground down the sharp corner left behind on both the inside and outside of the pot to provide a nice smooth surface. Some elevation is next on my schedule for this tank. I need to go vine shopping :)

NewHides2.jpg

I made it larger than I needed, but after feeding her, I wasn't sure if she would fit with a full belly. I haven't seen her go through the hole yet while full though there is room to spare when she is digested. I had her go in there last night, and saw how much gap surrounded her. I think I am going to resize the openings a little before the next feeding just incase. I'll try to snap a pic of her going through the hole; the large hole is still smaller than the penny.

NewHides.jpg

Mine love these hides! Plus they're really easy to clean/disinfect and last for years.

I wasn't sure if she would fit with a full belly. I haven't seen her go through the hole yet while full though there is room to spare when she is digested. I had her go in there last night, and saw how much gap surrounded her. I think I am going to resize the openings a little before the next feeding just incase.
Ooooh yes, do make sure the full belly fits through. I once had a very embarrassing visit to a vet with a freshly-fed snake stuck in a pot exactly like that. No amount of lubrication would shift him (I know - the mind boggles!) so the vet eventually just split the pot open with a single blow from a hammer and chisel.

Boy was my face red!! Mind you, Pumpkin is pretty dim, bless him, even by Corn Snake standards....

I knew I saw this somewhere. Awesome Idea I paid a little more for my pots but hey whats 20 cents?! LOL! Ours love them I have two one on the hot side and one on the cool side.

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCF1189.JPG
    DSCF1189.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 254
Nroc I know you asked me about this on my thread i posted there but I will also post it here also hope you don't mind.
Sinsational I tried a metal drill bit and it didn,t work at all but it did go in a little in the side which gave me a starting point then i used a reamer to finish it it was easy once i finally found the right tool but this thread is the place i first saw them i just added a little twist
and on second thought Nroc I do think I am going to make my holes a little bigger now (better safe than sorry)

Attachments

• reamer.JPG
    reamer.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 207
Back