CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #51
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by boabass6 View Post
How did the other snake contribute to her death? Are you saying it is because she got pregnant?
Well, she died from becoming EGGBOUND.
What does that tell you?

PS, the word is "gravid" not "pregnant".

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #52
DartFrogsDragonfly
Exactly. They were stressed. And I should have separated them as soon as I had read that cohabbing was a problem. No matter what my own "habitat mate" said or thought.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #53
BloodyBaroness
How about some photos? Many from this very forum.

All images copyright by original owner.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #54
boabass6
I don't think too many people here understand what the word debate is. There is a difference between debate and bickering. Arguments are made when presenting evidence and experience which reflect people's values on a subject, which is called bias. Arguments are made so people can find a ground for their bias and make their point based on careful and rigorous examination of the evidence. This contributes to elaborated or sometimes even new-found knowledge to those involved in the debate. Fudes and fighting are made when people consistently insult each other and don't contribute valid evidence or constructive thought to the debate.

What I asked was not to pick a fight, but to clarify. When you go and accuse someone with no ground or insult them, then that is picking a fight.

Use your emotion and thoughts constructively, together. Please.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #55
boabass6
@BloodyBaroness Are those snakes that ate other snakes or are they gravid?
@starsevol It tells me what you just said, she died becoming eggbound. Did they mate too early and she wasn't ready for it? Was this how co-habbing effected the snake's death? Your stating the problems, not so much the reasons.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #56
Naagas
I think that you are getting a lot of emotional arguments because so many people on this forum have had cohabbing tragedies.

Nobody is going to logically debate a situation where one of their babies died.

Some corn snakes may get along with each other or even another snake, but you can't ask them.... so you would have to risk an introduction, then risk leaving them alone together.

If they fail to get along, the result is death.
That is a pretty high cost with little benefit.

Your snake isn't going to get 'lonely'- so why risk death to cohab?

That is the logical argument you are going to get.

I tried to find the papers that I read on cohabbing in the wild. I haven't found them yet. I will let you know when I do.

In the wild, snakes often lay together to keep warm. They tend to get along more with their matrimonial line (mothers are less likely to kill their daughters, etc.)
This is different from captivity, where we provide heat sources and we often don't have genetically linked snakes that we are trying to cohab.

If I were going to experiment with cohabbing, I would do so with a mother/daughter pair who had both reached adulthood. That is probably the safest pair to cohab. But, again, I wouldn't experiment with my snakes. They are pets to me.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #57
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
@BloodyBaroness Are those snakes that ate other snakes or are they gravid?
They ate other snakes. Every single one of them.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #58
boabass6
To clarify one thing, I am not going to risk keeping my bulls with the adult corn snake. I might separate the bulls in smaller cages because my bull is getting a little big big for my NMP. My boas are together, and I might get a rack to separate them. Right now what I've been trying to say is that the bulls and boas are getting along.

Baroness, these are very convincing pictures, especially the boa. It might just be my perception, but the snakes in all those pictures including the boa look very skinny, despite the bulges of where other snakes have been ingested. I know some of the snakes are younglings, and they are usually skinny, but this is not normal behavior for boids to eat other reptiles. If it were a king snake or an indego snake it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if the snakes were underfed?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #59
starsevol
Quote:

Baroness, these are very convincing pictures, especially the boa. It might just be my perception, but the snakes in all those pictures including the boa look very skinny, despite the bulges of where other snakes have been ingested. I know some of the snakes are younglings, and they are usually skinny, but this is not normal behavior for boids to eat other reptiles. If it were a king snake or an indego snake it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if the snakes were underfed?
You want a "debate", but what is a FACT is that normal behaviour or not, underfed or not, those snakes would not have eaten their cagemates if....THEY HAD NO CAGEMATES IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!
Those pictures prove that YES it does happen.
One of the people here had 2 males killed by females during the breeding season, and they were adult cornsnakes. Well fed adult cornsnakes. This happened last year, almost a year ago from right now.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #60
susang
Let's see you say pregnant not gravid, you wonder if the snakes Autumn pictured are gravid or if they cannibalized. 'statement'

So what is your knowledge base for those snakes being thin, underfed and improperly cared for. 'rebuttal'

Now please take your 'debate' somewhere where you can be as impressive as you think you are.

Oh! and snakes are kept in vivs or tubs not cages.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google