CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Milksnake Phase effect

Old 06-23-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Edmund
Question Milksnake Phase effect

Could someone please explain to me how the milksnake phase affects offspring? Say if I were to breed my normal female milksnake phase to a normal male, would I get normals that show the milksnake phase? And how do you pass on the look to other cultivars? Is it just a matter of breeding it into a line and continuing with selective breeding?

Thanks for any input~

Old 06-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Traci1
Re: Milksnake Phase effect

Quote:
Originally posted by Edmund
Could someone please explain to me how the milksnake phase affects offspring?
Rich and/or Carol would be the best ones to answer, but since this is one my my favorite "morphs" I will chime in as well. Milk snake phase is like Miami phase but with fewer and bigger/broader blotches. I would think that selective breeding would help to pass that trait onto other morphs as well.
Quote:
Say if I were to breed my normal female milksnake phase to a normal male, would I get normals that show the milksnake phase?
I'm not sure. I have a female Milk Snake Phase that had been bred to an Aztec before I aquired her. After I got her, she double clutched, and the four offspring were all influenced by the Aztec pattern.

I sure do love Milk Snake Phase and Milk Snake Phase Motleys! I have some eggs cooking right now!

Traci

Old 06-23-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
carol
It really depends on luck. I have out crossed Milksnake Phase and got offspring that showed no influence at all, and some that have had lots of influence. This year I bred a Milksnake Phase to a Miami that "half and half"(from breeding a Milksnake Phase to a Miami). So you figure the hatchlings had about 75% Milksnake Phase "blood" in them. Some had good banding, some did not, and that neat little aztec was even from that clutch. It seems that there are two different "types" of Milksnake Phase and you can get both types in one clutch. There are the ones that have very few large saddles, and ones that have a lot of saddles that band all the way around. Here is a pic one outcross that has lots of influence. He is the result of breeding a Milksnake Phase Motley to a Hypo Lavendar. Obviously in shed.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
carol
Here is a whole clutch pic from the Milksnake Phase X Milksnake Phase outcross. I got some with nice banding, but some with none. I didn't want to disturb them too much they all just hatched and are in shed.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Edmund
Great picture, Carol! I'd love to see a post-shed one of the group.

So how do Milksnake Phases and Bandeds do together? Are they any different?

Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google