CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

HELP. My snake is acting wierd.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Bordlampe
Exclamation HELP. My snake is acting wierd.

Hello. I've had my two corns for a little over a year now. Everything was good at the beginning, and since then ive moved them up to a bigger viv. (Not cohab)
My oldest corn is really easy, i can handle her without problems, she eats fine, and is just a really good snake.
The other one, though. She's been acting wierd since i got her a bigger viv. I can't handle her anymore, and she almost seems stressed. She still eats well, but always strikes at the mouse, which she didnt do before. Also, when she's back in her viv, it seems like she's nervous or something. She's moving around really quickly, and stresses about getting away to hide. She also reacts by hiding when she sees me move in front of her viv.
Its almost getting too much for me to handle, i'm nervous every time im feeding her, and in generel just nervous if she's okay. I've considered selling her to someone with more experience, but im still not sure. I'm just thinking it may be the best for her and for me.
I just need some advice on this whole situation.

Thank you.
/Monica

Old 05-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
DLena
How big was the small viv? What was in it?
How big is the new viv? What is in it?
How long is the snake and age?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordlampe View Post
...... She's been acting wierd since i got her a bigger viv. I can't handle her anymore, and she almost seems stressed. She still eats well, but always strikes at the mouse, which she didnt do before.
/Monica
That's no big deal. That's the sign of a good healthy feeding response. My snake always strikes at the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordlampe View Post
Also, when she's back in her viv, it seems like she's nervous or something. She's moving around really quickly, and stresses about getting away to hide. She also reacts by hiding when she sees me move in front of her viv.
Its almost getting too much for me to handle.........

Thank you.
/Monica
Can't say for sure, but I will tell you this, the "First Sign" of an impending shed is the snake starts hiding more than usual. So I would ask, when was the last time she shed? If it has been a while she could be about to shed again. My snake sometimes hides for 2 or 3 week before he sheds. He won't come out, he won't eat. But then after he sheds he goes back to being his normal self.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
How big was the small viv? What was in it?
How big is the new viv? What is in it?
How long is the snake and age?
I would agree this would be useful information. It could be that the sudden amount of open space does make your snake feel a little less secure, and stress is exactly what he's feeling. Adding more places to hide, a substrate he can burrow into, and having less open spaces he needs to cross to get from his cool side to his warm side to his water dish might help if this is the issue. He may just need to grow a little bit before he feels safer with less "clutter".

I would also ask, have you changed your handling habits? Are the bigger cages in a different location, or at a different height than the smaller ones? (for example, suddenly within view of children and/or other pets).

Also, age can be a factor. When one of my males turned about 2 he turned into a jackass for a couple of months. I was debating what to do about it when he suddenly became sweet as pie again. I had moved him to a higher a cage level where he could no longer see the dogs, which did help, but I also now know that during the breeding season he just gets really (REALLY) touchy about being touched.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Ms.Ivory
When I moved my snake the first time into a bigger cage she was stressed also. So I put her back into the smaller one. I moved her again when she got to be about 3 ft. She did much better then. She is now about 4ft and seems happy now.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Ms.Ivory
You know I just thought of something. My snake was acting very strange lately too! She was pushing her face against the glass acting like she wanted out and moving about quickly. Well then she laid eggs. Well slugs, which are non fertile eggs. It could be that also. My snake is about 2 years old.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google