CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: Have you been bitten by a CORN?
Yes, more than once. 108 36.99%
Yes, only once 34 11.64%
Nope, not yet 150 51.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Bitten?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #41
gardenmum
Yeah, I totally agree, there are only two types of snake owners.....those that have been bitten and those that will be. Especially if you raise hatchlings or own some of the much more touchy species.

I have been bitten multiple times, mostly from babies, but also from adults in "feed response" mode. It doesn't hurt much but does make you jump even though you know it won't be painful. I did get bit by one of my columbian boas, only a baby really still, but that one did hurt and did draw blood. Not looking forward to being bitten by them when they get 6-8 feet long, that's for sure.

Here's a picture of one of my '04 babies attached to my finger. This girl was a bit touchy as a hatchling and sometimes copped an attitude on me. Word to the wise for those who have not been bitten, IF the snake stays attached and doesn't let go, carefully grab the upper jaw and lift the mouth off by moving it slightly in the opposite direction of the slant of the teeth then slip the lower jaw off, again moving it in the opposite direction of the teeth slant. If you try to pull the snake off you will be doing two things...definitely causing yourself pain and taking the chance of breaking the teeth on the snake.

This little girl had to be "pealed" off after I took a few pics.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #42
cka
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
I haven't yet been bitten by my cornsnake. I have been bitten many times by other wild snakes, mostly water snakes...I'm not really surprised tho...I guess that's what I get chasing them around and catching them
and water snakes like to crap AND puke up baitfish at same time while chewing on you :*)...

I would guess most bites are feed bites, when a snake gets confused as to what the food is and what the hand that feeding it is...I have a black rat that will strike on ocassion, but it's always a dry strike and always hard not to flinch lol...Had a very large black rat bite and not let go when I was @ 14 or 15...I do remember it was not pleasant hehe, but nothing that wasn't tolerable and NOTHING like our warm and fuzzy friends can give us...

Old 04-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #43
dionythicus
I got tagged today by a baby sand boa. It felt like a paper cut and I hate paper cuts more than anything. Actually drew blood too, the little snot.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #44
KatieL
I have yet to be truely bitten. Melony struck at me right out of the shipping container, and then again about a month later when she got a little over-zealous at feeding time. She never had good enough aim to make real contact though. Trogdor has never shown any attempt at biting, and the only time I've EVER seen Sienna upset enough to bite was when DAND probed her for me (guess she didn't like that, eh? go figure). When Sienna tried to bite him my eyes just about popped out of my head, hehe. (btw, thanks again dave!)

Old 04-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #45
Joni Garcia
I'm a new snake owner and got bit the night I bought my first snakes. I went to Carol's house to look at her 8 mo. old pink snows. One of them decided to bite me while another showed off his tail rattle. They were so cute. The bite didn't hurt at all... felt kind of like a little pin.

While pregnant with my last baby, I had gestational diabetes and tested my blood sugar level 4 times a day. That hurt way more than the snake bit, and the blood tests weren't bad at all.

Now I don't have to wonder what it feels like to be bit by a cornsnake. What a fun way to be broken in as a new snake owner!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #46
mrweaw
Ok...I went a very long time without getting bit and now it seems to be the thing to do around here!

Today I got bit by my 2 year old anery het charcoal mot...who also happens to be a psychotic runner...I swear if he didn't have good genes he would be on the for sale rack! So after getting lose in the house and biting me, he pooped on me. Why can't he be more like the others?

Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #47
Godzilla2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azruial
Have you ever been bitten by a cornsnake?
Well, so far I haven't been bitten by my Corns. Closest I've come to being struck at was the day when I received my Kingsnakes from UPS my Striped Albino Kingsnake tried to strike at me through the side of his critter keeper I had placed him in.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #48
robertwallace
I take being bitten in stride,to me its no big deal.Usually its when I've made a mistake and reached my hand back in to move the mouse and got bit by mistake.I look at it as a shark in a feeding frenzy.

The worst bite was from an adult cal king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #49
Gintha
I love those picks Dianne! Can just imagine her saying "Oh yeah? Roar!" and biting you hehe.. Mom saw them and said "Think she bit off a lil more than she can chew" =) I've been lucky (so far) and Treasure has yet to bite me.. she goes into "cobra" mode, weaving her head and such, but hasn't ever tried to strike at me, even when I smell like mouse =)

Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #50
eoj17
Vicious is a champ. I've dropped him before, picked him up when he didn't want it, locked him in a box of water when he was having trouble shedding, he was pissed about that, and he still hasn't even tried to bite, and he's still a baby. Gotta love corns and their docile attitudes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google