CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: How many corn snakes do you have?
1 268 46.21%
2-4 158 27.24%
5-8 46 7.93%
8-more 108 18.62%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

One pissed off corn snake

Old 09-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #61
susang
While I realize the poll, is partly why this thread keeps coming up, it is amazing to me the original poster hasn't been on this forum since 6/11/2003.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #62
brtrude
i know i remember looking at this thread when i first joined the site and though it was pretty rescent until i realised when the first post was! i cant believe its still going!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #63
AmelEP
That's a bit odd, according to the poll, majority of the people have only one snake but from a lot of the posts I've seen so far indicate that most of y'all have tons.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #64
MO, CORNFED
Here's an Idea

Ok, man here's another idea a snake is alot like a lizard, the terrarrium, or tank only needs to be double the length of the snake. For instance, I have a 3 year old, 3 foot ball python, and currently she's in a 20 gallon long tank, by the end of the year she will need a 40 gallon long.

My 2, 4 month old corns are about the size and length of a pencil they are in there own 5 gallon tanks. Remember that everything about reptiles goes by length and gerth, not by how long you've had them. For instance you don't be snakes by how old they are you breed them by how long and fat they are.

So yeas I think your 70 gallon tank is to big. at a corns max length you might need a 30 gallon long tank, but 70 is to big.

Also depending on your corns, my 2 babies never want to leave there habitat, but it's just as if your a parent. I take my snakes out of there cages at least once a day unless they have been fed. Try picking it up a different way. like by taking 3 fingers and grabbing the middle of it's body, or it's tail until you lift it up high enough that you can put your other hand underneath it. It doesn't matter how you hold your snake, they will make themselves comfortable. just don't hold it by the tail and let it hang around.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #65
this_name's_corny
Dude the thread dates are several years back!!!!
this thread is practically dead!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #66
ilovecorns1
lol
lol
lol
l.ol

Old 11-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #67
ryancbj22
Don't be affraid to just grab him. Open the tank and move the rock then just reach down and pick him up don't hesitate because he doesn't know what's going on so his first reaction is to run and hide and if you interrupt that he'll strike. Don't give him time to think about striking. Just do it quick but gently. Your thinking about it too much I used to do the same thing and to be honest with you the worst thing that can happen is he bites you and trust me as a hatchling it doesn't hurt it will startle you but if you just let him bite you he'll probably stop and you'll find that if he does do it it won't bother you as much. It's one of things that until it happens your scared and then it does and your like wow that wasn't bad at all.... Number 2 a 70 gallon tank is way too big for a hatchling you could put them in a tupperware bowl and they would be more happy. They have to feel secure there hides they should be able to touch the sides almost like there being hugged. I would suggest going out and getting a 10 gallon tank with a slide lid there about $40.00 I don't like the screen lids with the locks that go over the tank they tend to make the corners pop up and they can get out unless you want to put bricks on them which doesn't look real good I bought my at Jacks aquarium and pets. If a hatchling is in something that big it will make them very aggressive I would have to say that is your biggest problem. Get a smaller tank put him in leave him for about two or three days and try again just remember don't hesitate to pick him up if he bites so be it it won't hurt I promise just don't jerk away easier said than done I know but it will teach him that he can't hurt you and he'll realize your not there to hurt him. Keep trying the more you handle him the more he'll calm down it's in there nature to strike when scared so the more he gets used to you the more he'll invite you to take him out mine will actually wait for me to come get her she'll stretch out and as soon as my hand goes in she's climbs right up my arm. Corns are not aggressive it's just not there nature unless captured from the wild. You have to understand your 50 times his size imagine something that big trying to pick you up but after a couple of times you would get used to it just like they will. Make sure you always feed them in a different tank and never touch there food with bare hands they can smell you on there food and that can strike a reaction also. I promise if you do these things he'll become way more doscile just remember handle them once a day for about 10 minutes wash your hands first and you should be fine. Once you switch tanks don't feed for about a week and handle him after about three days. Your going to have to work with him but I guarantee you can bring him around he'll just have to get used to his new tank buy a under tank heater for one side and put a small hide in the middle and water on the cool side and he'll love it. Wait until he's a full adult then move him to that 70 gallon. I hope this helps and I can't wait to hear if it works......

Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #68
ryancbj22
Tank is way to big!!!!

Don't be affraid to just grab him. Open the tank and move the rock then just reach down and pick him up don't hesitate because he doesn't know what's going on so his first reaction is to run and hide and if you interrupt that he'll strike. Don't give him time to think about striking. Just do it quick but gently. Your thinking about it too much I used to do the same thing and to be honest with you the worst thing that can happen is he bites you and trust me as a hatchling it doesn't hurt it will startle you but if you just let him bite you he'll probably stop and you'll find that if he does do it it won't bother you as much. It's one of things that until it happens your scared and then it does and your like wow that wasn't bad at all.... Number 2 a 70 gallon tank is way too big for a hatchling you could put them in a tupperware bowl and they would be more happy. They have to feel secure there hides they should be able to touch the sides almost like there being hugged. I would suggest going out and getting a 10 gallon tank with a slide lid there about $40.00 I don't like the screen lids with the locks that go over the tank they tend to make the corners pop up and they can get out unless you want to put bricks on them which doesn't look real good I bought my at Jacks aquarium and pets. If a hatchling is in something that big it will make them very aggressive I would have to say that is your biggest problem. Get a smaller tank put him in leave him for about two or three days and try again just remember don't hesitate to pick him up if he bites so be it it won't hurt I promise just don't jerk away easier said than done I know but it will teach him that he can't hurt you and he'll realize your not there to hurt him. Keep trying the more you handle him the more he'll calm down it's in there nature to strike when scared so the more he gets used to you the more he'll invite you to take him out mine will actually wait for me to come get her she'll stretch out and as soon as my hand goes in she's climbs right up my arm. Corns are not aggressive it's just not there nature unless captured from the wild. You have to understand your 50 times his size imagine something that big trying to pick you up but after a couple of times you would get used to it just like they will. Make sure you always feed them in a different tank and never touch there food with bare hands they can smell you on there food and that can strike a reaction also. I promise if you do these things he'll become way more doscile just remember handle them once a day for about 10 minutes wash your hands first and you should be fine. Once you switch tanks don't feed for about a week and handle him after about three days. Your going to have to work with him but I guarantee you can bring him around he'll just have to get used to his new tank buy a under tank heater for one side and put a small hide in the middle and water on the cool side and he'll love it. Wait until he's a full adult then move him to that 70 gallon. I hope this helps and I can't wait to hear if it works......

Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #69
Arby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmelEP View Post
That's a bit odd, according to the poll, majority of the people have only one snake but from a lot of the posts I've seen so far indicate that most of y'all have tons.
Just an off-hand guess, but here's my hypothosis on that:

People that have lots of snakes are more likely to post on the forum, since they want to share their revelations and are more likely to need to ask questions - as they have multiple snakes, there are more things to go wrong, and more chances for things to go wrong.

In addition to this, people with many snakes are more likely to have a shop or be breeders, or active community people (work in the industry, write books, etc) and participate in the community to keep on the cutting edge of developments, which is important for any business or entrepreneur.

People with one snake are more likely to be first-time owners, inexperianced people (newbies or noobies, and yes there is a difference), and that sort of thing. With only one snake there are less things to go wrong, and a lot of people who buy snakes do so in the same way as they would buy a rabbit or cat - it seemed like a good idea at the time. They don't have the knowledge there, and don't nessecerily care if something goes wrong. Either way, they are less likely to post on the forum.

Therefore, the people voting 1 snake are probably those who have little participation or interest in the forums, and those people probably do make up the majority of the snake-owning community (I wouldn't say herpers, because many of these people.. well, aren't). They vote on the poll because voting is easy to do and makes people feel like they have an influence, or say on the forum.

The people who post most are probably those with multiple snakes who have an active interest in the community, and although they make up the majority of posts and information-giving, probably don't make up the VAST majority of the industry or even forum

Disclaimer: My views in no way suggest that those with only one snake are inexperianced or don't care about their snakes - the majority of people on this forum certainly know what they are doing, or at least are interested to learn, hence why they are here. I am just generalising that the majority of those who buy one snake from a pet shop, are doing so as a generic pet and not as a herper. That does not mean YOU (whoever is reading this post), I'm just talking generally.

Also - there are newbies and noobies (some people term them differently, this is just my term for them). Newbies are fine - people who, whilst new to an area and probably don't know much about it, are willing to learn and expand their knowledge.

These people are just at the beginning of a long road to possible success. A few years back, a guy joined an overclocking forum that I am part of, and I was advising him the very basics of computers like putting them together and basic BIOS modification. Three years later and he now runs his OWN overclocking and hardware review site. He was a newbie .

Noobs (noobies) are.. people who dive into a topic area with no knowledge of it, and no real interest to learn anything, they just want to get their name up in lights, and often to acchieve whatever they want to, as fast as they can without learning anything along the way.

As a good analogy, we have a lot of people come of the forum with messages like "OMG doodz, how can i 0vercloxxors this new proc, 3GHz wanna get it to 6ghz ASAP, no volt mods too difficult". They are noobs - they have no interest in learning, and will probably give up in a few weeks or months. I guess in the pet-keeping world, these are the "lads" who go out and buy a puppy because it seems "cool", don't know how to look after it, feed it all the wrong things, and then abandon it in a field in 3 months because they got bored of it.

Obviously we know simply by the fact that you are all on a forum related to Herpetology, posting or even just reading questions and answers that you are either experianced people or "newbies", so what I'm trying to say it, don't take offence to my predictions .

As an aside, wow! This thread is 4 years old and still going, with only 7 pages? And the poll is not even related to the topic question. Why doesn't someone just lock this thread and open up a new poll asking "How many snakes do you own?"? It would generate more forum interest. Although... 10,000 views is a lot of forum interest O_o;.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #70
luvmycorn
yeah dont worry about your snake. this is normal for males. he will be fine after he learns you are not a threat.l

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google