CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

ok, im not used to this........

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
brtrude
ok, im not used to this........

hi guys.
Im a bit confused at the minute. Dezmond is being really funny about his food. Hes refused his meals over the last couple of week on the various occasions i have offered him a mouse. Its really strange, he has allways been so a consistant feeder never passing up an opportunity to eat a mouse.

i put him in his feeding tank and he is just not interested, hel spend the whole time tryin to get out his feeding tank. Even when he notices the mouse hel sniff it a bit and then leave it. The other day he spent a bit of time actually trying to push his nose into the mouse to hide in it or hide under it.

There doesntseem to be any health problems, infact he seems to be in GREAT shape, hes very active, actually hes now VERY active during the day, which is great for, and less at night.

i asked the guy at the shop and he said its breeding season now or somethin which is the time wer people would put them into hibernation, because of this he said the snakes feeding and activity will slow down.
is that right? and may that be the reason he is refusing food? or is he simply not hungry??

thanks in advance guys.

he says hello

Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
MerlinsPop
Its not uncommon for a male to go on a hunger strike when he's more interested in finding a sweet little cornette.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
rolandslf
Hi there
I believe that corns get to a stage after a good feeding spell where they are saturated and then put themselves on a diet. I had a corn that would feed voraciously for 3 or 4 months and then go on diet for up to 8 months. Perhaps your boy has reached this stage.
The breeding season point however must not be ignored as this does definitely occur.

Ciao

Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
brtrude
ok thanks a lot peeps. im glad av not got anything to worry about. al just keep offering him food til he feels like eating.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
v_various
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
I had a corn that would feed voraciously for 3 or 4 months and then go on diet for up to 8 months.
Whoa! I had no idea they could go without eating for so long. How big was your snake when he did that? (I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks, I've been debating weather or not I trust my animal-dumb roommate to feed my boys).

Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
snakewispera snr
It depends on how big (as in fat, or phat..LOL)your snake is. But three weeks is nothing in snakes dinner times..
MIKE

Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
rolandslf
100% correct, 3 weeks is nothing. What you have to worry about is the water. You need to provide fresh water at least once a week and that is if he hasn't pooped in it or fouled it up, ideally you will change water every 2nd or 3rd day.
By the way my boy was about 1.3 metres ( about 4 ft. ) at that stage.

Ciao

Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_various View Post
Whoa! I had no idea they could go without eating for so long. How big was your snake when he did that? (I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks, I've been debating weather or not I trust my animal-dumb roommate to feed my boys).

My guy will go on a hunger strike starting in about April if there is a female near, but if not, he doesn't normally go months without eating. Two or three months, I'm not overly concerned with, but any more than that and I'd be taking a trip to the vet. Lady G went almost six months without and she got really thin. The vet doesn't believe anything would have been different if I had brought her in earlier due to some of the issues he found during the necrospy, but there will always be that doubt in my mind. He recommended a trip in if the hunger strike went longer than 3 months with my corns.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
100% correct, 3 weeks is nothing. What you have to worry about is the water. You need to provide fresh water at least once a week and that is if he hasn't pooped in it or fouled it up, ideally you will change water every 2nd or 3rd day.
By the way my boy was about 1.3 metres ( about 4 ft. ) at that stage.

Ciao
Do'h... trust me to forget the important things...Nice one Roland...Keep an eye on me, please...LOL
MIKE

Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
v_various
well, I do trust him to take care of the water. I feel like I'd be imposing if I asked him to take care of poop too, but I guess I don't have a choice.

This is the same man who didn't notice his fish were dead.
This is the guy who had a lizard once, and said "I don't know what kind of lizard, one that didn't move much. I didn't even notice he was dead, my friend pointed it out to me and he was a dried out husk at that point HAHAHAHA" (this was when he was in his 20's)
My roommate, who thinks it's fun and fine to put a bunch of aggressive fish in the same tank and just watch them fight it out. And they only grow to the size of their tank, so no worries about a too small habbitat! He told me his brother would leave fish for him, in his *mail box* and not tell him, in the WINTER. Most of the fish lived, so who cares.
The guy who wondered why his "would try and kill everything" unfixed dog would scale a 6 foot fence, disappear for 2 days, come back with a torn ear, split eyelid, and puncture wounds. But he didn't need a vet.

So ya, I'm not too excited about putting him in charge of anything. I'm actually sending Thanagar to live with a friend for the 3 weeks, but the others are too big for that and should probably stay in their 33gals.
: (

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google