CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

4-5month old corn snake handling issues please assist.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
snakeeeguyy
4-5month old corn snake handling issues please assist.

hey all i just recently bought a baby abbot morph corny ;] having some issues though, once i get him out of the cage about 10seconds after hes fine and calm.. but getting him out can be a nightmare... today he struck at me twice.. and he wont just climb onto my hand if i put it in his tank.. :[... what should i do?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
susang
Hi and Welcome. He's scared that is why he is striking, he may tail rattle, hiss and even flatten his head to scare you away. If you approach from the side that may help. Have you let him settle in his new surroundings before handling?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Jrgh17
In a word? Wait.

Hatchlings are always freaked out. It's normal. You're about a billion times their size. Imagine if some giant thing suddenly plucked you out of bed one night. Personally, I'd be scared too.

Give him some time. Handle him for short periods of time only (once a day for maybe 20 minutes), except after feeding or during sheds. He'll calm down with age.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
StaceyBaybee
I dont know anyone with a snake that will just crawl onto there hands. Its normal for babies to act this way, they calm with age.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
snakeeeguyy
ok thanks for the welcome ;], and hes 5months old the lady said, hes roughly 15-16inches max, growing daily, ive had him about 4-5days, but just normallly how do i go about takeing him out of his cage?hes always balled up in his rock cave, when i lift it up, he stares my hand down ready to strike, eventually he moves and i lift him out by his mid section gently ;[ but eventually will he just slither on me like ive read ? or is that all lies?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Stregone
I wouldn't expect a hatchling to just slither onto your hand. Each snake is different. I've heard of hatchlings curling up in someone's hand and falling asleep, but most aren't that calm.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
susang
If you've only had him four or five days likely you shouldn't have held him at all. It's always best to let them settle in and eat a few meals with you before handling (except to put in feeding tub).

Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
djfreebase
If you'v only had him five days, he is still going to be very scared, and getting used to his surroundings. Id keep handling down to a minimum for about a week, some people will beg to differ, but the last thing you want is a stressed snake, which creases the chances of a reguge. If getting bit bothers you, you could try wearing gloves until the snake has calmed down.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
snakeeeguyy
ok, yeah, ive heard leave him alone, and to handle as much as possible so hes a calm freindly adult, but what the heck do i do, if he goes into striking position again? he curls up like a boa and literally follows my hand with his head, ive put my hand near him and he'l slither up stick his tounge out then kinda run away or just move away.., i know its really soon, and i dont mind getting bit if thats what its going to take, but how do i pick him up when hes curled up and ready to strike?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Stregone
Just grab 'em. Don't hesitate. But be gentle. They are the most afraid when you are picking them up. Once they are out they almost always calm down very quickly, because they realize your hand wasn't trying to eat them. So try to get that scary part over quickly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google