CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

I thought we bonded...apparently not

Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
jaimbabe
I thought we bonded...apparently not

So I had a break through with my almost 7 month old the other day. I was finally able to pick him up with my bare hands! This is a big step for me because he is quite a striker/biter/rattler and mittens gave me the confidence to pick him up. (It should also be said that I always immediately take the mitten off because he is perfectly calm once he is out of his tank.) Anyways, I picked him up three seperate times in 2 days with no mittens and he didn't strike or rattle or anything! Then today I go to pick him up and he's back to striking and rattling. So I'm scared again and I go put on my mitten, pick him up and put him in my other un-mittened hand like I've always done and he musked me! First time ever! So what is this about? Is he going to start musking me all the time now, and did I make a big mistake by putting him right back in his tank after he did it? I'm hoping he did this because he ate a really large mouse yesterday and I usually wouldnt handle him until tomorrow. I guess I got a little cocky, but I thought we bonded! Will there ever come a day when I'm done with the mitten for good? And why would he all of a sudden musk me for the first time? Frustration...

Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
v_various
I would guess picking him up so soon was a bad idea, they need time to digest. Is that something you normally do?

I'm sure he will calm down in time. I've never been musked before, but it's taken my two prissy boys a year to calm down.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
SNAKEWISPERA
I have a snake like this and they grow out of it, don't use gloves just make palm flat and pick him up.. and its not like the bites hurt!!!
joel

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Checkerbelly
I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Sometimes they just have a bad day. My corn is so relaxed it's silly. But I was feeding him last night and he had his mouth full and rattled his tail at me to tell me not to bother him right then. It's no reflection of how he's going to behave in the future.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Flagg
Snakes don't have the capacity to "bond". Any bonding is entirely one-sided. The most you can hope for is that they eventually get used to handling and tolerate it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
mele2511
Yeah just let him bite you. it will stop doing it when it notices that he does not get the reaction he wants.

You should not pick them up for at least 48 hrs after a feed... This could be why it got you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google