CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

snake is a magicien

Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
susang
I wouldn't say your snake is a magician, as already said they can get out a very small hole. You only have two choices you haven't looked through the aspen well, checked hides or the snake is out. I have lids that lock but at least one if the snake goes to the middle she can push the lid up enough to get out. I have and had few escapes, each time it was because I hadn't thoroughly checked for escape routes. Purely from experience does your tank have a plug in the bottom, as that was my first snake escape, he pushed the plug with his nose ad went out the hole, it is now glued in. I use stones on all my vivs to prevent escape.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Darkwraith
no plugs at the bottom.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Darkwraith
Still no luck
I was wondering is there any tricks to lure the snake out from somewhere cause we really think it's in the couch cause the couch is directly next to the terrarium.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
djfreebase
Try plugging a heat mat in, on the floor. Put a bowel of water next to it, and her favorite hide.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
connord94
Do a search,
There have been many threads instructing how to make traps to capture your snake.

A good tip is to put some sort of powder (talc,flour etc.) on the floor so you can see where the snake is (from its tracks) and block the gaps inbetween the door and the floor with a towel or something to prevent the snake travelling.

I have had an escapee which I have not found. My new snake isn't in the tank which the other escaped from, and he's not going in 'till I get a more secure lid.

Cheers,
Connor

Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
diamondlil
Pop-bottle trap? Take the top third off a coke bottle, reverse it so it makes a funnel into the bottle. Put a defrosted pinky in there.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #17
Nanci
Does he have any fake plastic trees or branches he could be hidden inside?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Wylie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Does he have any fake plastic trees or branches he could be hidden inside?
Exactly. Does he have any like this for example:

I hadn't seen my snake for over a day and last night I wanted to take him out of his viv and with me to a friend's house cause we didn't have any power in our house (due to an ice storm) and I didn't know how cold it would get in our house overnight with no heat so I went looking for him and I couldn't find him ANYWHERE. I tore the whole critter cage apart piece by piece and paper towel by paper towel. I looked good in all the hides, or so I thought, and I knew for sure he couldn't get out of his home, (the critter cage), so as I put each piece back in one by one, I decided to look as hard as I could in this log hide one more time cause hubby & I both knew we'd seen him up in there before. So I looked up in as far as I could into that hole that we saw him in before and finally I spotted him, just his eyes and nose poking out of that hole WAY up in the log!!! He may have just decided to poke his head out and see what all the fuss was about, he may have had his head further up in there when we looked the first time. But yeah, some hides have small tunnels/holes WAY up in to where if the snake gets up in there, you can't even see him! I have to say, if it wasn't for Nanci warning me about this when I first started posting here, I might have been panicking. But I just KNEW he HAD to be in that log somewhere even if I couldn't see him cause there's NO WAY he can escape from the critter cage. It was secure and there aren't any spaces anywhere in it big enough for him to get out.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
Nanci
I have three of those logs, all sawed off, now!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
Wylie
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do something soon because Flash has been up in that hole in his log since Thursday and has not come out at all to my knowledge and tomorrow is feeding day. I hate that, it worries me when I don't see him out and about at least once a day. I mean seeing him out and about lets me know he's well and healthy. I haven't seen him since Thursday except last night briefly when I just saw his nose poking out. And I mean dang, what's the point of having a snake if I never get to even see him. I like having a snake to observe him, among other things. But yeah, I guess I'm going to have to figure something out soon cause tomorrow is feeding day and I can't get him out of that hole in the log. He used to be very active before, roaming around his tank for hours everyday, but now since he's found that hole in that log, it's like he doesn't want to come out at all. Do you suppose he likes that hole THAT MUCH??? I don't know, but it sure makes me uncomfortable not seeing him at all for days. I'd hate to have to get rid of that log but I guess I might have to, and get some other hide to replace it instead. Either that or cut it, like you did Nanci. Doggone it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google