CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Pls Help. Bubba seems scared.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Red-Scorpion
Pls Help. Bubba seems scared.

I got Bubba about 5 days ago. When we first put him into his tank, he explored constantly and was very active. Then I think he found the hiding areas and settled down only coming out at night (and was still very active then). 2 days ago I fed him a pinkie by transporting him to a seperate container, and he did great. Now he comes out of hiding rarely, and if we look at him he quickly dissapears back into hiding and doesn't come out for a while.

Its odd because the first few days he didn't mind us at all. Now he does this.

Is this normal?

Thanx,
Dave

Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Wylie
I'm assuming he is a baby corn snake?

If so... yeah, I'd say it's normal. Mine seems to go back and forth with that same kind of behavior. For a few days he'll seem at ease with us, he'll be very active and be ALL OVER his tank and doesn't care if we look in at him, other times, he'll be part way out of one of the hides and when I go to look in at him, he disappears back into his hide. Also, recently, he disappeared into a hide and didn't come out, to my knowledge at least, for two days. So yeah, mine seems to be doing that too. One day he'll be active and not seem to mind us looking at him and another day he'll act all shy and skittish again. And as far as I can tell, Flash is perfectly healthy. He has eaten twice for me so far and has been doing just fine.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
diamondlil
For the first couple of days after feeding the snake's usually going to be resting and digesting anyway.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Susielea
This behaviour is absolutely normal.

After a snake feeds it feels more vulnerable with a full belly and will therefore hide away until the feed is digested. Bubba is probably just popping his head out to make sure there are no threats around. Once he has digested and passed toilet he will probably go back to the way he was behaving before he was fed.

This is why it is advisable not to handle a snake for a few days after feeding until it has digested, because if it feels threatened or stressed it may regurgitate its feed which can lead to a whole host of problems.

Hope that helped, best wishes with your new little one,

Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
For the first couple of days after feeding the snake's usually going to be resting and digesting anyway.
R&D... I knew I shoulda tradmarked that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google