CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Do snakes have good memory?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Urban_M86
Exclamation Do snakes have good memory?

I mean can they remember things that happened a year ago, months, weeks, day , or just hours I’m asking these because I wonder if my snake is going to remember me next day.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
bitsy
Well, accidental escapees are notorious for going back and using the same escape route until it's found and blocked. I think that demonstrates a measure of recall being used.

Corns do become accustomed to their owners, and some show signs of recognising owners from other people when given the choice.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Urban_M86
oh wow thx

Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
The_Thunderer
I've heard that snakes have a memories comparable to a goldfish... I have seen too much consisitencey in them to think that's true, though.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
wade
My snakes seem to know when it is feeding day or cleaning day. They respond differently on those days.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Nanci
DYK I thought goldfish were sort of smart. They can be taught behaviours, at any rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Iznh9VbsY

Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Cornsnake124
i would say they have a relative memory. They tend to remember feeding habits, escape routes, there owners, etc..etc...etc.... Actually my breeders always come out if i start to play violin music because i think they associate it with me, and they associate me with getting fed.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
speirsaaron
my snake recognizes me from other ppl cos she'l be calm if im holding her but for she freaks out with other ppl so i jus guessed its cos she knows me from been the only one to handle her

Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Emily1188
Snakes seems to have decent implicit memory - that is, long term, habitual things, such as associations with the owner's scent, feeding tubs, etc. As for episodic memory (i.e. what their day was like yesterday), I highly doubt they have much at all.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
PJ@PJCReptiles
Everyone seems to have given you some good pros and cons on your question.

I can say that with my older boas that I have not raised since birth, seem to have memories from their past. "Baby", a 0.1 2002 boa, has seen her original owner twice in the last 3 years. And YES, she does know who he is! Very much so. She will go up to his face, around his hair and seem to "hug" him. The first time they saw each other, he was upset for personal reasons, of which I knew of, and he was about to cry when he left and handed her back to me. She would not go to another person at PetCo that afternoon. Ashley and I had to hold her and she seemed to be hugging back, she just wanted to be where she felt safe. She was clearly upset with the interaction. The second time was not that hard on either of them. But again, she just wanted to be with me and not go back in her home.

I have another boa from a good friend, she has ADHD and OCD. I have her pastel female boa now and when she comes to visit and see her boa, the boa just wants to be with me. She was like that at her house before I got her, she just seems happy with me over her. Can they tell if you run at a higher gear, or afraid, or stressed? I would have to say YES.

As for corns, they know when it is feed day, clean day, and how to get out! Some seem to want out to be with us and others just dont care. So it was a good question!

PJ

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google