CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Accurite 3 Probe Mod!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
HoosierHerper
Post Accurite 3 Probe Mod!!!

This is from another forum, I just figured since so many of us use the Accurite, that it would be useful here too!

ACCURITE DIGITAL THERMOMETER/HYGROMETER
Problem with this thing was that it had to be in the enclosure to measure both the temps (In/Out) and the humidity (%). My friend told me that this was no good and I should find a solution. So not only did I do that, but I decided to share this cheap mod with all of you as well.

Here is what you will need...Soldering Iron (15w) and solder, Razor blade, Two small screw drivers and a pair of small pliers (mine were Craftsman).

Start by taking the back case of of the Accurite.
Notice how the sensor at the end of the wire looks just like the on on the circuit board, they are even marked in/out.

So now, unsolder the wire from the circuit board.

Then unsolder the Hygrometer sensor and the other Temperature sensor.

Figure out what lengths of wire you will need to run and cut the original wire to the appropriate lengths. Strip about 1/8" of wire covering off and solder the section with the original sensor back to the out on the circuit board. In my previous picture you can see I already did this.

Next, solder the other sensors to the other wire sections after stripping and then solder the corresponding wire (make sure to put the temp in the temp spot and same for the hygro) to the circuit board.

Use hot glue on the end of the temp sensor to keep the wires from touching. You will see how they did this from the factory, when you take it out of the plastic part that says SENSOR.

Pass the wires through the back and Hot glue them in place after reattaching the back cover.

When you are finished, you will have three external sensors, 2 for temp and 1 for humidity. It will look something like this. Then you can measure temps for warm side and cool side as well as Humidity with the unit mounted outside of the enclosure.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Kels88
How do you keep the snakes from messing with the sensors?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
HoosierHerper
The picture doesn't show it, but I actually not only hot glued the heat sensors, but also put a drop of hot glue around the solder points on the humidity probe also...

As far as securing them, my humidity and ambient probes just hang into the tank, the warm spot probe I have secured with a small strip of duct tape. Just make sure the surface is clean and dry and it will adhere very well. Even before I did this mod, I had used duct tape to secure it down...I have never had a problem with the snake messing with it.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Kels88
Thanks for the info. I might have to con my husband into rigging one of these up for the incubator...
But in the viv, did you put tape directly on the probe or on the cord?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
HoosierHerper
I taped the cord down just behind the probe. Remember the tips of the probe are in hot glue...no harm to the snake.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Kels88
Thank you! makes more sense now. Where do you buy the acu-rite thermo hygrometers? I wasn't able to find one similar to this on the web.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
HoosierHerper
Walmart I think Lowes may carry them too....but at Walmart they are going to be with the outdoor thermometers...$12

Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Kels88
awesome! I'm going shopping

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google