CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Is your snake a burrower? A climber?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Is your snake a burrower? A climber?

Ruby is still settling in, but I've noticed she is enjoying burrowing much more than she is using her store-bought hides. In fact, the only time she went into a ceramic hide was when I put her there (and there she stayed). But shes does like to curl up in the cork round quite a bit! (Have to use a flashlight to find her there!) Quite often I have to dig around the substrate to find her. Do your corns enjoy burrowing and just hanging out under their bedding? I think the hides I bought are too large for her--even though I have filled them with moss--so I ordered a smaller one to see if it makes her feel more secure.

Also curious if your snakes are "climbers." Obviously corns are not as arboreal as other species (e.g. Eastern rats...my word, these guys CLIMB) but I've noticed when she has a mind to, Ruby will just go right up the vine and over the branch in the viv.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
vera_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJemima View Post
Ruby is still settling in, but I've noticed she is enjoying burrowing much more than she is using her store-bought hides. In fact, the only time she went into a ceramic hide was when I put her there (and there she stayed). But shes does like to curl up in the cork round quite a bit! (Have to use a flashlight to find her there!) Quite often I have to dig around the substrate to find her. Do your corns enjoy burrowing and just hanging out under their bedding? I think the hides I bought are too large for her--even though I have filled them with moss--so I ordered a smaller one to see if it makes her feel more secure.

Also curious if your snakes are "climbers." Obviously corns are not as arboreal as other species (e.g. Eastern rats...my word, these guys CLIMB) but I've noticed when she has a mind to, Ruby will just go right up the vine and over the branch in the viv.
My Ruby loves to climb, but she does it mostly in the evenings and at night. She will sometimes climb up into the vines in the day time if she gets hot. Mostly she curled up in either her warm hide (on top of heat pad area) or in her cooler cork hut on the other side. These are both small and she seems to like them. I have tile for most of her bedding and I put no bedding under her heated hide. She seemed to like that better than the carpet I had in there. Hope this helps some.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Oh no! Two Ruby's!!!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
vera_r
Lol..red corn snake, female...hmmmm....wonder why? Lol it is also my birth stone. 😜

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
beyourownspotlight
Alfie likes to climb on things, over things, under things, inside things. I have a lot of cardboard in his viv, TP rolls and kitchen rolls, little cardboard boxes etc. He'll climb inside and all over them, and under like I've said. He's got two store bought hides too, and the same applies, he'll climb over them and inside them. He's got a jungle vine type thing in his viv, he'll climb that too, and I just put a stick in there last night for him, I've not seen him use that so far, but I'm sure he'll love to climb on that just as much tbh.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
DollysMom
I see more borrowing than climbing from both my corn snakes.

In fact just when I thought Cleo didn't use her vines at all, I caught her in them last night. So I yes I only think there is more burrowing than climbing. What I have learned is that a lot goes on in the dark when I'm not looking.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
LadyJemima
Quote:
What I have learned is that a lot goes on in the dark when I'm not looking.
Sorry, but the first thing I thought when I read this was, "midnight tea parties..."

Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
DollysMom
Lol, if snakes had tea parties...

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
NinnJinn
Hunter will burrow, sometimes it will chill in its hide. When I put Sherbert back in it will zip around the viv like crazy. Then the next time I check, it has burrowed.

However, I haven't even had them for 5 days yet. And I still yet have to see them come out of hiding on their own.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #10
Mr.Z
I've only caught Dom under the paper once (I am using paper towels). However, he does like to wedge himself by the lid and along the edge of his water bowl. I'd say he's a climber.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google