CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

*Graphic* Why NOT to house your snakes together.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
JenC
*Graphic* Why NOT to house your snakes together.

Why NOT to house snakes together:

"who's that there in my boa's belly? "

"different angle...hmmm, must be something big...weird "

"Last meal I fed him wasn't THAT big...wait, wasn't I housing him w/ my ball...where'd she go? "

"you eat your roommate and you better hold down the nutrition boa, because you just wasted a bunch of my money...darnit you regurgitated ...jezz, I'm suprised, it's not like the ball's AS BIG AS YOU ARE psycho ...hard to believe "

"yes, that's a post regurg. pic!!! Ewww...can't believe it, ball just too big? well check out it's partially digested head!!!!! "

I kno i have posted this before, months ago. But with newbies still poppin that question, i think this needs to be stickied.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
princess
Were these your own snakes?

Whilst it's an awful lesson to learn the very hardest way, we're not talking about cross species cohabitation here. Housing 2 cornsnakes together has a very different level of risk when compared to housing 2 kings together or in this case, a boa and a BP.

I'm sad for the poor BP and whilst the thread brings to attention the risks of cohabitation, it isn't really to do with cornsnakes at all and therefore should be under the general chit-chat section.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Tracee
I'll add this to Jen's post. Although it does look like they were being transported together and not necessarily housed.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
TandJ
Intresting corn pic... I presume that one ate its room mate too!>????

Regards.. T and J

Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
DaemoNox
Two different species or the same species; it really doesnt make that big of a difference because your still risking the same risks (unless of course its a species known to be cannibalistic).

The only difference between this and corns is that when housing two different species together your often sacrificing one or more's husbandry needs, the snakes are in the exact same position for mistaking the other as food even when fed seperatly; the scent still hangs on the other snake and in the air.

Do you mind if I use these pictures on other forums when the topic comes up?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Tracee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemoNox
Two different species or the same species; it really doesnt make that big of a difference because your still risking the same risks (unless of course its a species known to be cannibalistic).

The only difference between this and corns is that when housing two different species together your often sacrificing one or more's husbandry needs, the snakes are in the exact same position for mistaking the other as food even when fed seperatly; the scent still hangs on the other snake and in the air.

I got the corn cannibalism photo from here, in a similar thread to this years ago, so as it's not mine and has already been distributed around, I don't think anyone would object to you using it elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
JenC
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
Were these your own snakes?

Whilst it's an awful lesson to learn the very hardest way, we're not talking about cross species cohabitation here. Housing 2 cornsnakes together has a very different level of risk when compared to housing 2 kings together or in this case, a boa and a BP.

I'm sad for the poor BP and whilst the thread brings to attention the risks of cohabitation, it isn't really to do with cornsnakes at all and therefore should be under the general chit-chat section.
Nope not at all my snakes. 1. i wouldnt house 2 diff species together, 2. i wouldnt house together at all period unless i have to (right now i have some corns doubled up..but it was because my mom was out of work for so long with heart complications and my dad needed the electricity bill to go down for a while to get back ontrack)

Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
JenC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemoNox

Nope i dont mind if u use them, i actually encourage it.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Joker
You know when I opened this thread and started reading and looking at the pictures I could start to feel my blood pressure going up. Because Jen, you know better and I assumed these were your snakes. Upon further reading I realized this is just a reminder of such things. Yes these are a reality and this is why I believe that all snakes should be housed separatly except for breedings and this is just a risk you have to take.
Not even accounting for housing two different species together, that just makes it all that much more wrong in my opinion.
Josh

Old 03-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracee
I got the corn cannibalism photo from here, in a similar thread to this years ago, so as it's not mine and has already been distributed around, I don't think anyone would object to you using it elsewhere.
They are (were) mine I bought them in Daytona and the vendor put them in the same deli, and I did not think anything of it until I got home and found that.

BTW those are amel blood females that I paid $125 each for the eater died after regurging it's sibling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google