CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

*Graphic* Why NOT to house your snakes together.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #21
princess
OK, my mistake, I was sure at the time of my first post that this was in the husbandry section but I guess I may have had another window open at the same time...whoops, I appologise.

But honestly. Comparing the case of keeping the boa and BP together and saying 'look what happens when you put 2 snakes together' is like showing what a couple of male Betta splendens together would do to each other and saying 'this is why guppies must be kept appart'.

Do you see my point?

Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #22
TripleMoonsExotic
But what do you say of the picture of the hatchling cornsnake whom had eaten his deli cup mate?

Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #23
Taceas
I think its terribly unfortunate for the Boa, the BP, and the Amel corns.

But I think the relevancy to the issue is the same, regardless of species. Death by being eaten by your cagemate or travelmate can happen, no matter what critter it is.

No one would have thunk a Boa would have eaten a BP. I know I didn't think it would be an issue for such a short duration. Apparently Scott didn't think it would be an issue either. That's why its so valuable of a lesson to be shown. You can't just ass-u-me things will be hunky-dory in two relatively placid snakes.

I guess it isn't "cannibalism" on the Boa's part because it ate a different species. And technically to be considered cannibalism its eating your own kind. Would that assumption be as inanely correct as well?

Personally, I find the most humorous aspect in that the same person who says its relevancy to corns doesn't count or belong as a 'warning sticky' is the same person who admittedly feeds adult corn snakes in the same tub within close proximity to one another and also houses adult corn snakes together.

Maybe accidents don't happen in Sweden. Either that or its too cold and dreary for Murphy to vacation there.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
DaemoNox
Kind of like the toilet water flushing in a different direction on the other side of the world

Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
cornsnakekid92
we have 27 year old Adèle in one corner and 26 year old misty in the other, both of them have 53 rep. pointb and over 2000 post.

THATS GET READY TO RUMBLE!

just kidding, ll i can say is that that is why i dont house snakes together.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckkat
But what do you say of the picture of the hatchling cornsnake whom had eaten his deli cup mate?

I made my comments before the photo of the corns was posted in this thread so I stand by my comments regarding same species -vs- different species.

I am aware of the risk of housing my snakes together and I make a judgement call on it.

It's just like how I know the risks of driving after drinking, so I make a judgement call and decide not to drink and drive.

I know the risk of being in an accident whilst riding a motorbike is greater than in a car but I decide that I want the fun/feeling of the morotbike. Obviously I wouldn't ride whilst it's snowing as I understand the risk of slipping and make a judgement call.

I believe we as adults are free to weigh the risks in any given situation and judge for ourselves if the risk is acceptable or not. Sometimes we take the risk other times we decide not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas

Personally, I find the most humorous aspect in that the same person who says its relevancy to corns doesn't count or belong as a 'warning sticky' is the same person who admittedly feeds adult corn snakes in the same tub within close proximity to one another and also houses adult corn snakes together.

I make judgements based on how well I know my animals and I can't say it's given me any problems. If it turns out that I was wrong and I have a situation of cannibalisation or a missexing causing an underweight female to become gravid then I'm big enough to admit it but so far it's been working just fine for me and I don't see any reason to change my husbandry practices to suit popular opinion.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #27
carol
One point that hasn't been made;
There very well could be people out there that frequent this forum that house their cornsnake with their boa. Perhaps there are even more that are considering setting up such cohabitation. This information is very relevent to those corn keepers. I think it does have a legitimate place here even if it was posted somewhere besides general chit chat. So here is my example... Suppose someone posted a pic of a Ball Python that had been chewed up by leaving it overnight with a live mouse. Would we attack this person saying, "Well that just happens to Ball Pythons. This has no place in a cornsnake forum!"?
I think saying that a post showing risks on cohabitation has nothing to do with cornsnakes is a big stretch, are cornsnakes immune from the risks of being housed with different species?
If you want to argue that this is a separate argument than the one regarding housing two corns together, fine. The original post never said "This is why you shouldn't house two corns together." I guess in your "perfect world" the poster would have posted "Why you should not cohabitate two different species." But I don't see what you or anyone else gains from picking apart some very useful information on a documented fact, just because the wording was not perfect.
Is it a personal decision? Sure. To use your example, you know how much you can drink before you drive. But would you attack someone who posted a pic of their dead loved ones and said "This is what happens when you drink and drive."? Would you tell them they are way off base and that only happens when some people drink and drive?
I have seen attempts on cannibalism in corns several times through out the years in my own collection. It is dangerous. To make the educated decision to cohabitate your corns is one thing. To promote it and discredit arguments against it is another. Maybe it is just me, when I give advice I always tell people to go with the safest way. I guess I just could not live with myself if someone lost a beloved pet due to reading something I said.
It seems as if you have made the informed decision that cohabiting two different species is dangerous. Then you can see the relevance this thread has to people who may be housing their corns with boas.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #28
ghosthousecorns
It seems to me that if you read all the threads by experienced keepers, then you know there are risks when co-housing corns or other snakes. You may think 'it won't happen to me' until it happens to you. A lot of people seem to learn the lesson best when they 'learn it the hard way'.
I know cohabitation is a hot topic and even if it may work for some it's still good to have threads like this one so new keepers can see that there are risks involved.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #29
Bobo's Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
One point that hasn't been made;
There very well could be people out there that frequent this forum that house their cornsnake with their boa. Perhaps there are even more that are considering setting up such cohabitation. This information is very relevent to those corn keepers. I think it does have a legitimate place here even if it was posted somewhere besides general chit chat. So here is my example... Suppose someone posted a pic of a Ball Python that had been chewed up by leaving it overnight with a live mouse. Would we attack this person saying, "Well that just happens to Ball Pythons. This has no place in a cornsnake forum!"?
I think saying that a post offering risks on cohabitation has nothing to do with cornsnakes is a big stretch, are cornsnakes immune from the risks of being housed with different species?
If you want to argue that this is a separate argument than the one regarding housing two corns together, fine. The original post never said "This is why you shouldn't house two corns together." I guess in your "perfect world" the poster would have posted "Why you should not cohabitate two different species." But I don't see what you or anyone else gains from picking apart some very useful information on a documented fact, just because the wording was not perfect.
Is it a personal decision? Sure. To use your example, you know how much you can drink before you drive. But would you attack someone who posted a pic of their dead loved ones and said "This is what happens when you drink and drive."? Would you tell them they are way off base and that only happens when some people drink and drive?
I have seen attempts on cannibalism in corns several times through out the years in my own collection. It is dangerous. The make the educated decision to cohabitate your corns is one thing. To promote it and discredit arguments against it is another. Maybe it is just me, when I give advice I always tell people to go with the safest way. I guess I just could not live with myself if someone lost a beloved pet due to reading something I said.
It seems as if you have made the informed decision that cohabiting two different species is dangerous. Then you can see the relevance this thread has to people who may be housing their corns with boas.
I like your example, Carol, because at one point a few months ago. There was a young lady who came onto the forums who WAS housing her corn with her Brazilian Rainbow Boa. She just didn't any know any better.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #30
Joker
Yes this is a HOT topic and I knew it would come to bickering. But as some of the greats have said before......
"can you?....... Possibly"
"Would I?.... NO!"
This is not a black and white or right or wrong topic. I am sure there are people out there that have housed snakes together(same species or not) together sucessfully. I personally would call them lucky, as I would not practice this. That is their choice and being their animals we really have no jurisdiction over it. I do not belive in it so I do not practice it. And my expressed opinions will show this. Please keep this a friendly discussion as the outcome will not change. People will do what people will do.
Josh

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google