• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

They are waiting to go in till it's cooler. I didn't want to put them out there in the broiling sun at 3PM. They're going in tonight.

Boxies Have Landed!!

Well, of course there's a movie- but I just got called in to work at 3AM, so I'm not going to finish it tonight. But here are the stills!

Taking their first look around. The first thing Krusty did was pee...

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 001.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 001.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 210
Krusty enjoying one of many nightcrawlers.

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 003.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 003.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 210
Oh wow, they're lovely! I thought they'd be bigger than that! That's great, they have more space than I thought they'd have, lol.

Dried lemon grass to hide in. It still smells wonderful!

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 008.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 008.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 213
Instant shade. This palm is going to hate it out there. I potted it so it could come in when it freezes and not die.

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 006.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 006.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 212
Fagalo: Female Eastern Boxie. Dave these are full-grown middle-aged adults. Maybe 30 or 40? Who knows. They have a lot of wear.

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 004.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 004.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 225
Krusty: Male Florida Boxie. He's the guy I treated for pneumonia two years ago when I took him in. That's it for tonight! Going to go out and observe them and try not to get my toes eaten!

Attachments

• Day Sixteen Moved In 005.jpg
    Day Sixteen Moved In 005.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 229
Wow!, Again!..

Holy Crap!. I go away for a weekend and your progress again blows me away Nanci!. That is one beautiful project, your boxies are lucky as hell to have you, and as another poster said, you would win a Viv contest hands down!.. I've really enjoyed this thread immensely. Thanx for sharing!...

I just went out to check on them. In that whole big thing, they both found the same spot to snuggle down for the night- the irises. Crows out in the back yard are going crazy. Then I saw a big red fox trotting along my fence line. That's only the second time I've seen him.

Do you find that they stay together? I've been wondering what happens when you give them room to roam about.
Another question, is it too early, or is that fox a vixen looking for kit-food?

It's very fulfilling in a way to see your turtles finally enjoying their new enclosure. Good job!

Alan, they are together more than they are apart. The tortoises, OTOH, are almost never together. I'm not sure when the foxes pup down here- it's certainly been warm enough for a long time.

Is bit bad that tonight I took pride in my crop of mosquito larvae hatchlings and the crowd of glittering blue, purple and green dragonflys that ate them?

Back