CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Strange experience with my corn, Paiute

Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Linda
Strange experience with my corn, Paiute

I just spent the past two hours watching the most amazing, strange thing I have ever see a snake do or any animal for that matter.
Before this started I took out Spot, my 1 1/2 year old amel/creamsicle/something (not sure what he/she is) and held her for about 20 minutes. She was very loving which isn't always the case. Sometimes she is real skittery.
I put her back into her cage.
I didn't wash my hands like I usually do. I was just going to take Paiute out and he lives right next to her in the next tank.
He was lying on top of his cave just lounging around, doing nothing special. Now, I want to set the scene here. Don't know his sex either or didn't think I did. Nothing exciting happening with him just vegging out.

I put my hand down like I always do to the side of him so he can see me and not get startled. He came over like he always does and put his head on my hand. And then it happened.
He JERKED AND FLIPPED and these THING came out of the sexual area with some sticky stuff dripping on it.
I was already picking him up when it happened and so I held him and it went back in. I had some of the sticky stuff on my hand
but it did not seem anything like urates, etc. I then it was semen.
So I put him back in his enclosure and that is when the show began.
He started patrolling back and forth along the glass at the front of his cage. He would double and triple up over himself
and then with his neck and head do a "cobra" like little dance and then go roaming again and then he would form an S with the upper part of his body and move sideways across his substrate like a sidewinder. Then he would go back to the front of the glass and repeat the entire "dance" over and over. I sat there for two hours and watched him. He was even trying to dig down through the substrate looking for someone, I guess.

Now, Paiute is not even a year old...not until first of July. Can a corn be THAT precocious sexually?
I am wondering now if Spot is a female and left hormones on my hand that he smelled when he put his head
onto my hand and that set him off.

After the two hours they both started standing up in the air trying to reach the top of the cage. Course Spot is longer so she would make it and then fall down. Then he would do it. They both figured out if the got on top of their caves they could reach easily and see each other over the paper divider that I have between their cages.

So, has anyone ever seen anything like this. He was FRANTIC. I have some pics of him that I took during it but I wish I had had a video camera. It was really something.

Is he old enough to breed at his young age? Females don't have anything that comes out like the penis, do they?

Linda Lathrop
\___/\___/\__@<
Camille - 7/04 0.0.1Normal Ball Python
Sudan - 7/25/02 1.0.0 Normal Ball Python
Cree - 2000 1.0.0 Okeetee corn
Pauite - 7/04 0.0.1Regular corn
Spirit - 7/04 0.0.1 Bubblegum snow corn
Spot - 1/04 0.0.1 Amel/Creamsicle corn
Chu'a - 7/04 1.0.0 Ghost corn
Edgar A Poe - 1.0.0 6/04 Blizzard corn

Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
princess
OK so I can't say for sure if spot is a girl but it may be after that response from Paiute...who I would say unequivacally is a boy!

Male snakes have 2 sexual organs which are used one at a time to coppulate with the female and females have none of these, so by the info you've given us, he's a boy.

If the discharge was yellowish to bright yellow, then I'd say it was seminal fluid.

I have a 10 month old ghost who is well and truely sexually mature so it is possible that your snake is there already. Sexual maturity is measured more by the size of the snake rather than the age. I've never bred a male under 300g, but I hear small males as little as 90g have succesfully fathered clutches.

Looks like you've confirmed the sex of one of you snakes today!

Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Linda
Talking Paiute is a boy!

Well, that is good to know. I had no idea they could breed that young.
I have tried to tell their sex by looking at their tails but that doesn't seem to really work well for me, at least.

The discharge was just a little bit but was a light buttery yellow so I guess it was semen.

My oldest corn, Cree, who is over 4 just went for 4 full months without eating, I think because he wanted to breed. He did a somewhat abbreviated version of Paiute's performance which is why I didn't know what the heck was going on. I only got him about a year ago so he may have been used as a breeder.

Well, better go change Paiute's records to male...that little dickens!
Princess, I'm going to go check out your website. I am still working on mine.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
cocoasumatran
Are you planning to put the video footage you recorded on your webbie? If you are PLEASE post a link to it

Old 05-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
MegF.
They also discharge the seminal plugs which is kind of whitish in color too.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
Linda
I am being told by alot of people on email lists that I was musked by Paiute
and that it wasn't semen or plugs.
Doesn't musk smell???
It didn't smell at all and wasn't unpleasant.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #7
mbdorfer
I've never been musked by a corn, but if it's anything like a king snake, yeah it smells!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
MegF.
I've been musked a lot by corns, and yes, it smells bad!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google