CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

List of Feeding Tricks for Non-Feeders

Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
Twolunger
Non-eaters do worry me until I get them eating, but you say yours is 2 months old and hasn't eaten for 15 days. That must mean he's already eaten for you several times. If that is true he may be getting ready to shed. Some of my hatchlings won't eat just prior to a shed. Nanci's blog has a post regarding non-feeders, and I've used several of her methods. Just scroll down to her "member's blog." What has worked for me well was heating chicken broth very hot and soaking a pinkie in it for 5 minutes. Put it in a deli cup to cool for 10 minutes and place the hatchling in the cup. Cover the cup and leave it alone for a while. Some like to leave the snake in the deli cup for hours, or even overnight, but mine usually ate within 15 minutes or not at all.

Don't ask me why, but my snakes love the scent of the dryer sheets we use to soften our clothes. I took one of the "used" dryer sheets and rubbed it on the head of a pinkie and presented it to a non-feeder and it ate within minutes. I may try swabbing the head of a pinkie lightly with one of my wife's perfumes the next time I have a non-feeder.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #22
zombiinonii
I haven't had my corn snake his whole life. I purchased him 15 days ago and since I have had him, he hasn't eaten. The person I had bought him from had him for the first 2 months of his life.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
Twolunger
If you have a gram scale give us a weight and we can give you a guess as to whether he has eaten much. Or contact the prior owner and see if he was eating regularly. If he has eaten unscented pinkies already, I would stick to them. However, I have had corns refuse to eat mice from a specific supplier, only to readily accept mice from a different supplier.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #24
MaryGriffith
I agree with you. They are quite confusing.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #25
Katlynn
Baby corn not eating

I've been reading your posts and really appreciate the tips on how to help non-feeders. We have had our baby corn snake for 16 days. I've tried to feed it 7 times with no success. These are the techniques I've tried so far (I always offer feedings at night, when the house is dark and quiet. We leave the room immediately so it's not bothered by our presence):

-I tried putting our snake in the small container that we brought it home in with the pinky, but it just slithered out and seemed upset that I was trying to put it back in.
-I also tried putting it in a paper bag with the mouse, but I feel bad pulling the snake out of its hide to try to make it eat. That seems to stress it out more.
-It also seems uncomfortable and shies away when I tried to tease feed.
-I've punctured the brain and left the mouse for the snake to find.
-I've even tried putting the mouse inside the hide with the snake, so I wouldn't have to pull the snake out and disturb it.
-My last attempt per the reptile store's suggestion was a live pinky. I left it in the tank for over 24 hours, but the snake showed no interest.

We did have a temperature issue (too hot) the first 5-6 days in, but have since gotten a new heater and temp regulator. The temperature is now right where it should be. We have not been handling the snake, accept when we had to switch out the under tank heater. So the snake has now been in an undisturbed habitat with correct temps for a week and a half.

Our best guess is that the snake is 6-8 weeks old. At what point should I start to get really concerned about the snakes refusal to feed? How often should I be attempting to feed the snake? I keep seeing the suggestion about feeding in a deli-cup and was wondering if that is with or without the lid?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google