CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #61
cmb19
2 ringnecks and a redbelly, but you can't really see it

I loved this little redbelly, and this is my favorite color pattern, the pic after this is also a redbelly. The coloring varies quite a bit.

These Eastern garters live in my dad's shed..I think there were 7 in this pic.

And my favorite of all, little, tiny, itty bitty, ringneck

Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #62
hypnoctopus
Those red bellies are sure cute!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #63
Outcast
Tspuckler, you should come down to NM for some High Desert herping... I could even join you...LOL

If I would have been there with the rubber boa, I would have been stoked too. One of those is on my bucket list.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #64
Optreptiles
@cmb19, nice ringnecks! All of those garters coiled up with each other look like some kind of hibernaculam.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #65
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilekyle64 View Post
A Spotted turtle I caught last year.
OMG!! That is the cutest darn thing I ever have seen!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #66
cmb19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optreptiles View Post
@cmb19, nice ringnecks! All of those garters coiled up with each other look like some kind of hibernaculam.
Yep, they go under the floor of my dad's shed. All summer long I can go down there and they will be all over in different places. My mom sent a few pics she took with her phone of 2 on a shelf...she didn't realize they were mating and kind of freaked out when I told her. She's not afraid of snakes, but she's not comfortable with them.

When I started finding these ringnecks, they were the first I've ever seen. All the snakes, except the group of garters, were found under the same board at my back door. They all live under my house so I'm pretty positive there's a big ole hibernaculam under my house with Eastern, shorthead, ringnecks, and redbellies...obviously this makes me very happy. I find toads and redback salamanders there as well.

The redbellies are my favorites, they're so easy to handle...with the exception of the tiny baby ringneck, he was too cute to not be a favorite.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #67
anerybree
A giant hibernation den for snakes underneath your house!!! Lucky!! I'm jealous, I wish I could find snakes that easily! I've only caught one so far, a little bitty Eastern Garter. He was so very sweet and didn't musk on me at all! I was sad to put him back.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #68
Wyldrose
Cool pics! It gets pretty cold up here so the herps are very few but I have caught and released a few
Plains garder snake, only snakes crazy enought to live this far north!

Little froggy we caught 100's of them this year

Some swamp monsters (we didn't release these lol)

The boy in the hat is a friends kid, the other 3 are mine, my oldest must have been behind me lol! We had more rain this summer then that last 4 years combined!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #69
cmb19
Quote:
Originally Posted by anerybree View Post
A giant hibernation den for snakes underneath your house!!! Lucky!! I'm jealous, I wish I could find snakes that easily! I've only caught one so far, a little bitty Eastern Garter. He was so very sweet and didn't musk on me at all! I was sad to put him back.
Seriously? All my garters musk the second you try to pick them up..of course I gotta grab them quick before they get away, so that doesn't help. I think I'm more afraid of being musked than bitten, I have a good sense of smell and I can smell snakes before I see them at times..musk is TERRIBLE compared to normal snakey smells.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #70
Optreptiles
It seems that Garter snake musk has a somewhat fishy smell to it, whereas rat snakes have a different, ashy smell. I wonder if it has anything to do with their diets?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google