• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

snake id (copper head?)

cornbreadandmilk

Non-registered User
caught by my cousin in central Alabama
I think its a copper head
he says rat snake
this is the only pic Ive seen he says it has (VERTICAL SLIT PUPILS )

CAST YOUR VOTE NOW

+1 copper head

Vertical slit pupils and no rattle in Alabama should spell Agkistrodon (copperheads/moccasins). Really pretty banding on that one, but I wouldn't bare hand it!

Vertical slit pupils and no rattle in Alabama should spell Agkistrodon (copperheads/moccasins). Really pretty banding on that one, but I wouldn't bare hand it!

he has been holding it all day and wont listen to me not sure what do to

he has been holding it all day and wont listen to me not sure what do to

Tell him it's been identified as a venomous snake and quit fooling with it. Tell him to put it in a cage and go get a live hopper and put it in with it and call back and let you know what happened.

When he tells you the snake bit the mouse and it died tell him to go ahead and pick it up if he wants to go where the mouse did.

BTW- I want to PM my address so he can go buy a lottery ticket and send it to me. It's definitely his lucky day (so far).

(Any snake can and _will_ make its head into a triangle shape to scare people off).

I can't see the pupils, but that is a heavy-bodied snake, very typical of a copperhead. A same-length ratsnake would be thin like a piece of rope.

My vet tells a story of a guy who brought in a coral snake, and ID'd it as a king snake. He insisted that he'd had it for years, and his kids handled it all the time.

I would like to see better pics of it myself. IF it is a copperhead is one of the weirdest ones I have seen.

(Any snake can and _will_ make its head into a triangle shape to scare people off).

I can't see the pupils, but that is a heavy-bodied snake, very typical of a copperhead. A same-length ratsnake would be thin like a piece of rope.

True- but when a non- venomous snake does that they have to get the mass from somewhere, they" flatten" their heads. In other words from a top view, their heads look triangular but from the side they get thinner. This snake has too thick a head profile for that.

Rat snakes are pretty thin but can appear larger if recently fed.But rat snakes have a big head that makes their bodies look slimmer. They also aren't known for head flattening as much as posing, biting and tail rattling.

This is my vote (Nerodia fasciata) southern water snake

Attachments

• 10040501PD_water_snake.jpg
    10040501PD_water_snake.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 224
Not a good pic, but here is a young copperhead from here in Ky.

Attachments

• coppertongue2.jpg
    coppertongue2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 221
Watersnakes always have those bug-eyes. Like the snake in question. Plus- you see them with those aberrant aztec markings.

Would like to cross it with this one found here in Ky. They call it tiger striped copperhead.

Attachments

• 405136_139886582811914_566716211_n.jpg
    405136_139886582811914_566716211_n.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 222
Back