CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn With BAD Attitude

Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
Twolunger
I've had my corns constrict on my hand while feeding. It's nothing to be concerned about, almost like a really firm handshake. The behavior you described when he moved up and down your arm flicking his tongue sounds like a feeding response. I'm still thinking there was something in his past that caused his current actions. It could have been something like a person handling him and being bitten, and flinging him on the floor. Another thing I've seen is someone attempting to shut the lid on a vivarium when
their corn decided to try to escape, thus pinching its head. Both occurrences may result in a snake fearing subsequent handling. Anyway, keep moving forward with his handling and give him some latitude in attitude.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
MysticExotics
Okeetee's are one of the morph's known to have more "attitude", in general. You see it in some old school Bloodreds as well. I've had a fair amount of Sunkissed that are quite feisty as well.

Feeding outside of the bin may or may not make a difference, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by maausen View Post
and yes I flinch real bad when he strikes. I also have notices he is starting to hit harder when he strikes. He's getting more and more aggresive and I am sure it is because of my reaction to his bites and how I leave him alone after.

How do you suggest I go about this? I try to reach in and he immediately starting speeding towards my hand. I know I am going to get bit by the time he comes and when I go to pick him up he starts thrashing like no other..
You said temps should be ok. Do you have a thermostat controlling the temps? If the temps are too high, that can make them pretty cranky.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
Raven
Ugh. This is my second attempt to respond. My first got accidentally deleted. Sorry I did laugh when picturing his knowing smirk as he chews on your arm.

So either something happened or changed to cause his behavior based on what you've said and that he's been fine for several months prior. Have you changed fragrances, soaps or detergents? He's also responding to your nervousness.

I would still wear gloves and clothes that smell like him and wash well before handling him (though your soap may be seasoning).

As for constricting, he should not be about to hurt you. Just keep him away from your neck and face. A bite to the nose is less fun than one to the arm.

It will take time, patience and dedication to work with him and see positive change.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
maausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I've had my corns constrict on my hand while feeding. It's nothing to be concerned about, almost like a really firm handshake. The behavior you described when he moved up and down your arm flicking his tongue sounds like a feeding response. I'm still thinking there was something in his past that caused his current actions. It could have been something like a person handling him and being bitten, and flinging him on the floor. Another thing I've seen is someone attempting to shut the lid on a vivarium when
their corn decided to try to escape, thus pinching its head. Both occurrences may result in a snake fearing subsequent handling. Anyway, keep moving forward with his handling and give him some latitude in attitude.
Hmm i wonder what did happen in the past. I have never had a negative experience with him since he's been with me (that I can think of). I am hoping its not some environmental issue causing his anger. I cannot think of anything that would be upsetting to him..

If he does wrap around me, what do you do to get him off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Okeetee's are one of the morph's known to have more "attitude", in general. You see it in some old school Bloodreds as well. I've had a fair amount of Sunkissed that are quite feisty as well.

Feeding outside of the bin may or may not make a difference, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't.
I will give feeding outside the viv a try. And yes I do have a thermostat. Im very safe with all of my animals and give them everything they need to be safe! (I'm a worrier like that) I keep a heat pad controlled with t-stat at 82-83 all the time and the other end has a low wat night bulb that runs during the day making it about 76-78 and at night I turn that off and it gets down to 74.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Ugh. This is my second attempt to respond. My first got accidentally deleted. Sorry I did laugh when picturing his knowing smirk as he chews on your arm.

So either something happened or changed to cause his behavior based on what you've said and that he's been fine for several months prior. Have you changed fragrances, soaps or detergents? He's also responding to your nervousness.

I would still wear gloves and clothes that smell like him and wash well before handling him (though your soap may be seasoning).

As for constricting, he should not be about to hurt you. Just keep him away from your neck and face. A bite to the nose is less fun than one to the arm.

It will take time, patience and dedication to work with him and see positive change.
Oh I laugh thinking about it too! I imagine him being super devious. Before the behavior issues started, I would bring him out to clean his poop out and I swear by the end of the day he purposefully would poop again to show he was pissed I took him out ahahah.

I do appreciate all the help I have gotten on this post. I have another snake that is the sweetest boy in the world so having a fiesty one has been troubling to me. I just want whats best for the animals!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #16
Raven
MysticExotics, has anyone done research on snake behavior as inheritable traits such as dogs and breeds? Like terriers being tenacious and goldens and labs being social? There was a study done on foxes and domestication that brought about "dog like characteristics" as a result of breeding the friendlier, calmer, more social foxes.

I've noticed that there are marked differences in personalities in my snake crew. For example: My anerys are more outgoing, attention seeking than my others. I had an extreme Okeetee years ago that was generally grumpy like you mentioned. I had thought it was just her. Would be an interesting long term project if no one has done it yet. If they have, can you point me to the research done on it?

Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #17
maausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
MysticExotics, has anyone done research on snake behavior as inheritable traits such as dogs and breeds? Like terriers being tenacious and goldens and labs being social? There was a study done on foxes and domestication that brought about "dog like characteristics" as a result of breeding the friendlier, calmer, more social foxes.

I've noticed that there are marked differences in personalities in my snake crew. For example: My anerys are more outgoing, attention seeking than my others. I had an extreme Okeetee years ago that was generally grumpy like you mentioned. I had thought it was just her. Would be an interesting long term project if no one has done it yet. If they have, can you point me to the research done on it?
I too would be very interested in this study.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #18
MysticExotics
I've not heard of any studies, just common temperament traits in morphs I've had, and in talking to others.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #19
Raven
I may have to start doing some research and data collection! I would be really intetested to see if there is a true connection in morph/gene linkage to behavior traits.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #20
Twolunger
I've heard it said that the sunkissed morph can be feisty. I had found that untrue because I have 3 of them that I handled a lot as hatchlings. Then I went to clean their containers and the male bit me a couple times. Maybe there's some truth to it.

What I would love to read is some data that shows if the more aggressive morphs add tendencies to their hatchlings that are desirable, such as hatchability, or fast feeding response. Some breeders outcross inbred morphs to normals to bring traits back into the line.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google