CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #131
SkyChimp
I have caught, kept short term, and returned to the wild dozens of snakes over the years. I only have 3 permanent snakes as pets, though. Right now, I have 2 captive bred and 1 wild caught.

I have a captive bred Eastern King that has a Virginia blood-line bred by a breeder licensed to do so in Virginia. I have a captive bred Corn Snake whose parents were wild caught Corns from western Virginia (also bred and sold in compliance with state law). And I have a wild caught Eastern King I collected in Virginia.

I'm not against the taking of wild snakes - in extreme moderation. But I see no need for taking dozens of them. My state allows the taking and possession (for personal use only) of 5 of any non-protect species of snake. I can take and keep 5 king, 5 corns, 5 milks, and so on. What I can't do is capture them and sell them, breed them and sell the offspring without a permit, or give them away.

What I am against is someone coming into my state, taking wild snakes to use in their commercial breeding operations in another state. It happens a lot. Virginia's snakes belong to the citizens of Virginia, not out-of-state breeders. They belong to those state citizens that capture them within the law. The don't exist for the benefit of people that want to make a buck off them, or who don't contribute $$$ to the agencies in charge of conservation.

By the way, anyone that does collect snakes from the wild and goes posting their exploits willy-nilly all over the internet ought to consider that many snake web-sites are monitored by state wildlife law enforcement agencies who may come a-knockin' on your door if they suspect you are breaking the law.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #132
Emanon
WOW... someone went on an archaeological expedition to find this thread!!!

Oh look... King TUT!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #133
Joolz68
----------------------------------

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #134
TandJ
Die thread.... DIEEEE!

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #135
EllasLlama
Ack! Where's the "Depends on the Situation/Maybe" button?

I'm going to have to agree with previous posts. It entirely depends on the situation.

For me, who only has one corn snake and am not planning at all in the future to really get into breeding, I would probably say no just because I would feel a lot more comfortable with a captive bred snake.

For someone who does a lot of breeding, I would say yes just to keep new bloodlines and variety within the captive bred population.

It also greatly depends on the laws of the area, also mentioned above. Most of those laws were put in place to protect local populations and to ensure that a breeding population is able to be maintained in the wild. So, if someone were capturing wild snakes and selling them, that would greatly reduce the wild populations and would then be bad.

Tough question.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google