• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Opinions on WC

Do you agree with wild catching corns?

• Yes

Votes: 88 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 39.7%

• Total voters
Noe trying to beat the dead horse or anyhting but I just thought of another advantage of SOME wild caught. I cannot remember the exact thread wording, maybe someone can help me out, but I saw a beauftiful Yellow okeetee lookig corn on a thread a bit back. If I find the thread I will reference it. But this is just showing that sometimes in the wild there are still interesting anomalies to be found. But I want to still say I do not support the commercial collection of corns for sale, just for strengthening the bloodlines and getting some more interesting stuff out there. Okay I found the link

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15838&highlight=yellow+okeetee

Hope this is easy to copy and paste. NOw if you did not believe in keeping wild caught this specimen would not be found or bred for maybe a new morph.

Aren't there enough captive bred corns around. Especially the states should have an overflow
Really we don't have an overflow, ball pythons, Red tails, Leopard Geckos, etc... are more common. I still enjoy having a WC or four around and always will. Oh well I guess some people will never understand... Especially those on the other side of the pond.

We might not ever understand why WC is so good but will you ever understand why we don't like it? Especially those over the pond ;)

I love a good debate.

I have vote no to wild cought, but it is only because i can't get hold of any (expensive in the UK). I would love a couple especially W/C okeetee, to introduce a "natural W/C" line to my snakes, so i can see both side and their are good valid reasions both for and against.

Quigs were spot on about any new wild traits available being breed into exsiting collections which i do agree with. But i don't agree with mass collection or 7-8 new wild cought every year being introduced into exsisting collections.

I am a bit.
I don't totaly agree with it, but i don't totaly dis-agree with it eather. Each to their own, and which ever way people go on this poll, i understand both side's and can see the reasoning of both sides as well.

I give up I still can't make a decision eather way on this 1.

I believe it helps with keep some of the genitic's true and also help's with producing new strains of corn's. I haven't however had experience with any w/c, but that's what i would imagine.

The real issue is responsible collecting versus the indiscriminate taking of animals. Controlled collecting actually benefits native stock as well as the pet trade. Just my .02

Sorry I missed this thread when it was hot! :rolleyes:

Wild caught and proud! How could you leave this on the road? For the record, I've released more snakes that I've produced than I've removed from the wild. Not a thing wrong with that, IMHO.

Attachments

• rhett1 003_1.jpg
    rhett1 003_1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 103
If I take it home, I keep it

I never re-release wild caught adults back into the wild. They have been handled and "tamed" and switched to a diet of only frozen thawed mice. They are capive breeders for the rest of their lives. I will, however bring hatchlings to the Hunt Club area and turn them loose. I'm still not sure I understand your opposition to collecting. While there are an awful lot of cornsnakes in the Eastern part of the country; no one in their right mind would hunt for snakes all day in the Okeetee area to sell them or save money! Ha! Besides likely tresspassing; you will encounter rattlesnakes, fire ants, mosquitos, chiggers, thorns, barbed wire, and hard work all hoping you will catch a cornsnake or two worthy of adding to your collection. And what dollar value would one place on this snake? The person who posted about saving ten bucks for beer earlier has obviously never spent a day field herping. :cheers:

Last edited:
Itsnowingcorns said:
OK, I have heard many people say this about WC, not having to compete for food, no danger of being ran over etc. But the way I think of it is this:
Imagine if you were taken from your everyday life and put in a room. The room has a heater that keeps it at a constant temperature that is comfortable for you. There is a bed for you to sleep in. There is a chair for you to sit on. Every day you will be fed cereal in the morning, sandwiches at midday and a chicken dinner in the evening. .

Hmm, good food, clean room, nice bed and chair. Oh! Let's not forget that they get to breed whenever they want, too! I think that sweetens the deal some!

elrojo said:
Hmm, good food, clean room, nice bed and chair. Oh! Let's not forget that they get to breed whenever they want, too! I think that sweetens the deal some!

LOL, but no more long walks on the beach, basketball games or bungee jumping, or in their case, slithering about (as much as they want).

"It's not whether there are plenty of corns around or not that bothers me."
What is it then? I get that you don't support collecting. I understand that it has little to do with wild populations. Is your rationale that the snakes are less "happy" when removed from the wild? That's certainly something I can't prove. When asked if my animals are happy, I've always just said "they eat and reproduce." A reptile that doesn't adapt to captivity will likely do neither and definitely will not reproduce.

It was born in the wild, it should stay in the wild IMO, you don't KNOW that they are as happy in captivity than in the wild, much as I don't know that they're not. Plus there's the stress of being tamed.

Itsnowingcorns said:
It was born in the wild, it should stay in the wild IMO, you don't KNOW that they are as happy in captivity than in the wild, much as I don't know that they're not. Plus there's the stress of being tamed.
Man, you had me until that last sentence! It's not like breaking a horse or something! You just GENTLY remove and handle the animal when cage cleaning and so forth until it backs off it's rattlesnake impersonation. Then you handle it a little more frequently. :)

Back