CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #71
Chip
Wild caught and proud! How could you leave this on the road? For the record, I've released more snakes that I've produced than I've removed from the wild. Not a thing wrong with that, IMHO.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #72
oldhand
Thats a good looking w/c chip, i love the checkering.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #73
Itsnowingcorns
Sure if you release them elrojo IMO.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #74
Chip
If I take it home, I keep it

I never re-release wild caught adults back into the wild. They have been handled and "tamed" and switched to a diet of only frozen thawed mice. They are capive breeders for the rest of their lives. I will, however bring hatchlings to the Hunt Club area and turn them loose. I'm still not sure I understand your opposition to collecting. While there are an awful lot of cornsnakes in the Eastern part of the country; no one in their right mind would hunt for snakes all day in the Okeetee area to sell them or save money! Ha! Besides likely tresspassing; you will encounter rattlesnakes, fire ants, mosquitos, chiggers, thorns, barbed wire, and hard work all hoping you will catch a cornsnake or two worthy of adding to your collection. And what dollar value would one place on this snake? The person who posted about saving ten bucks for beer earlier has obviously never spent a day field herping.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #75
Chip
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnowingcorns
OK, I have heard many people say this about WC, not having to compete for food, no danger of being ran over etc. But the way I think of it is this:
Imagine if you were taken from your everyday life and put in a room. The room has a heater that keeps it at a constant temperature that is comfortable for you. There is a bed for you to sleep in. There is a chair for you to sit on. Every day you will be fed cereal in the morning, sandwiches at midday and a chicken dinner in the evening. .
Hmm, good food, clean room, nice bed and chair. Oh! Let's not forget that they get to breed whenever they want, too! I think that sweetens the deal some!

Old 02-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #76
Itsnowingcorns
It's not whether there are plenty of corns around or not that bothers me.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #77
Itsnowingcorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo
Hmm, good food, clean room, nice bed and chair. Oh! Let's not forget that they get to breed whenever they want, too! I think that sweetens the deal some!
LOL, but no more long walks on the beach, basketball games or bungee jumping, or in their case, slithering about (as much as they want).

Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #78
Chip
"It's not whether there are plenty of corns around or not that bothers me."
What is it then? I get that you don't support collecting. I understand that it has little to do with wild populations. Is your rationale that the snakes are less "happy" when removed from the wild? That's certainly something I can't prove. When asked if my animals are happy, I've always just said "they eat and reproduce." A reptile that doesn't adapt to captivity will likely do neither and definitely will not reproduce.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #79
Itsnowingcorns
It was born in the wild, it should stay in the wild IMO, you don't KNOW that they are as happy in captivity than in the wild, much as I don't know that they're not. Plus there's the stress of being tamed.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #80
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnowingcorns
It was born in the wild, it should stay in the wild IMO, you don't KNOW that they are as happy in captivity than in the wild, much as I don't know that they're not. Plus there's the stress of being tamed.
Man, you had me until that last sentence! It's not like breaking a horse or something! You just GENTLY remove and handle the animal when cage cleaning and so forth until it backs off it's rattlesnake impersonation. Then you handle it a little more frequently.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google