CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

There should be a torture chamber for...

Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
SnakeNutt
There should be a torture chamber for...

...people who deliberately run over snakes.

Just got back from the barn, and my day is absolutely ruined. As I was driving down the nice country road, about 200 feet behind a car up ahead, I saw the car swerve into the lane for on-coming traffic (no one was coming) and then swerve back. Knowing that groundhogs, squirrels, turtles, etc., live along that road, I slowed and kept my eyes peeled to the right, to make sure I didn't hit whatever critter the person in front of me swerved to miss.

Then, when I neared the spot where the car had swerved, I saw something wriggling frantically in the road to my left. I immediately knew what had happened, and heartsick, I stopped beside it. Beautiful little eastern kingsnake (probably a new hatchling), with its lower half smushed and entrails squeezed out the vent. I used the heel of my boot to shorten its misery (I've taken snakes hit on the road to vets before when they weren't in too bad a shape, but this one was a guaranteed goner), and then cursed the driver so casually driving away after deliberately running over the harmless little snake.

I know, logically, that the hatchling could have been some hawk's lunch only moments earlier, but at least it would have served a purpose in the circle of life. As it was, a senseless waste and a cruelty the little snake never deserved. Just makes me furious.

Sorry. Needed to vent.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
princess
Vent away as much as you need to, just reading that made me angry and very sad for the poor little creature that did absolutely nothing to harm that nasty SOB driving that car in front of you.

We gon't have so many snakes here but the baby gese every year right near my place...so sad...we have to pull the necks of a few every spring that have been hit by cars and have compund fractured legs or ripped open chests...it's horribly sad but it's better to kill them quickly and let a fox take the body in the night or let them suffer all day, possibly passing on or possibly still being alive when the fox comes at dusk....

Old 05-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
SnakeNutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
Vent away as much as you need to, just reading that made me angry and very sad for the poor little creature that did absolutely nothing to harm that nasty SOB driving that car in front of you.
Thanks, Princess. I appreciate you commiserating with me.

This is why I make every effort to take my snakes to my kids' schools (when the more open-minded teachers allow me to). I show the children how docile the non-venomous snakes can be (although I caution them that any wild snake can/will bite when first captured), I tell them how beneficial they are in the environment, and I urge them to tell their parents not to indiscrimately kill every snake that crosses their backyards. It's always amazing -- and gratifying -- to me to see the kids who are most frightened at first eventually get up the nerve to come up and ask to touch or hold one of my snakes. All it takes is just a little bit of education and gentle persuasion, and converts are made. I do this with everyone -- my neighbors, my coworkers at the office, the overnight-delivery people who bring me my snakes, even the Animal Control officer who showed up at my door last fall when one of my idiotic neighbors thought it way MY snakes escaping to terrify her in her backyard -- duh, she lives beside an overgrown pasture full of mice, lizards, etc.

I sure wish we could round up all adult humans and put them in a classroom to do the same thing, to show them how harmless non-venomous snakes really are.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 AM   #4
Sisuitl
I totally agree. Educating the general public goes a long way to safeguarding our friends. It's wonderful that you are sharing your pets with so many people.

What a horrible person to run over a snake on purpose like that. Those same people aren't likely doing it just because they are prejudiced towards snakes though. I've seen plenty of jerks purposefully run down raccoons, dogs, cats, squirrels, possums, etc. Our beautiful little pair of native weasels were smushed by some jerk who swerved out of his way just to hit them. Grrrrr.......You are right, and I believe that in the afterlife there is some sort of special torture just for people who do that kind of thing.

At least there is some consolation knowing that many hawks and other birds keep a close eye on the roads for an easy meal, so they don't go completely to waste.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
herp_lover2004
Big Idea

I had the best idea, you will probley things to far out there but hear me out... why dont we (meaning a lot of people on this site) get a couple of groups like 1 or 2 groups and all over the united states or where ever any one is, have like a club or something... dont know really what to call it... but have it free, have refreashments and some type of food and post every where like the news, newspapers, word of mouth that adualts and children can go a learn about snakes like you do in classes but its open to the public and say that EVERY one is encruged to go especilay adualts... but its just an idea.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
Sisuitl
That would be cool. I always thought about teaching an IPM (integrated pest management) gardening class through the local community services. Aside from cutting down on unnecesarry pesticide use, it would be cool to introduce garter snakes to folks in the classroom and teach them about what awesome slug eaters they are, so less of them get whacked by the Hoe Of Doom.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
pcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_lover2004
I had the best idea, you will probley things to far out there but hear me out... why dont we (meaning a lot of people on this site) get a couple of groups like 1 or 2 groups and all over the united states or where ever any one is, have like a club or something... dont know really what to call it... but have it free, have refreashments and some type of food and post every where like the news, newspapers, word of mouth that adualts and children can go a learn about snakes like you do in classes but its open to the public and say that EVERY one is encruged to go especilay adualts... but its just an idea.
There are already these clubs in most large cities in most states. They are called Reptiles Societies. To find one in your city or town, do a search on the web, or check the local reptile shops and pet stores. If you don't find one, then by all means start one. They are well worth the time, and really help out with education and all. I have been to meetings at the one here in Austin, and the one in San Antonio. Both are hosted by wonderful people, and always have something fun going on.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
peep_827
Yeah . . .

I witnessed someone try to run over a coyote the other day. Thank goodness they didn't get him/her. I was so mad I was almost in tears. I've seen them hit on the side of the road before but never realized that people do it on purpose. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was.

I don't think there's a herp society in my area, I've checked around a little. What would be involved in starting one?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Sisuitl
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal? My dad saw that happen to a guy who tried to run over a fawn that was waiting to cross the road with his mum. Served the guy right. He ended up pretty mangled too since he also wasn't wearing a seat belt. Can we say karma?

Just find some herpers in the area and get them to meet regularly. You could see if local petstores will allow you to hang fliers up advertising your club. That way when they come to buy crickets/feeders etc. they'll find out about the society. You don't need many people to start. Two or three will work fine!

Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
pcar
then for the first couple of meetings, you have each person in the group talk a little about themselves and the herps they keep. Maybe bringing some to show off. As your club gets bigger you work on getting people to come and talk to your group about herping experiences they have done, if they are in the herp field what they do, etc. Then, when you have enough people in your group to warrent it, you start group outings. Go to places like Zoo herp houses, wildlife preserves, etc, to learn about the herps that live in that community. They are actually really fun.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google