CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

There should be a torture chamber for...

Old 07-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #21
PssdffJay
If you want to see more ignorant people to throw in the dungeon, check this out, there is already a thread here : http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22326

the original military sight is pretty infuriating!

Old 08-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #22
coyote
Angry Mean!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakejunkie
A guy at work told me the other day that he saw a snapping turtle in the road, so he got out of his truck and shot it with a 9mm. His reason?......"those things are mean" he says. Now how exactly is a turtle "mean"? Moron.

Thank God those snappers don't have guns!

Old 08-21-2005, 11:26 PM   #23
TandJ
I consider myself a natrualist in the sense of letting nature be. Much the same opinion I think is shared here, let nature be. Of course I do go fishing ( I have not since I moved to California, but that is because I find to few areas to actually go fishing ) and don't mind people hunting for food, as opposed to the game. I find it sad that some people really can't connect to the natrual element, everything has its place, and that includes venomous snakes. I really dislike the so called animal rights groups ( I don't need to mention any names, because we here understand who they are ). I have a love for nature and prefer to be in it than around it, and prefer not to be around many people ( jokes on me, I exist, not live, in California ). I try to teach people when I can about animals and fish ( I have numerous fish tanks too ) and about the importance they play in nature. I prefer CB animals as opposed to native wild species, for good reason, and I prefer to be with people that share that intrest.

Regards..

Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #24
bballmatt100
All this "snakes are bad" and "the only good snake is a dead snake" stuff is really pissin me off. If people would sit down and hear someone out who knew what they were talking about for 10 m in. they would probaly have a changed veiw.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #25
JenC
Yeah..really sux when that happens There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol

Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #26
Sasheena
When I was 12 or 13 years old my family and I visited a piece of property my grandmother owned in northern california. There was an old burnt out house on the property with lots of debris. The house had burned down 8 to 10 years previously, and nobody had lived on the 120+ acre piece of property since then. I was sitting cross legged on what used to be the kitchen floor when my brother lifted a board inches away from my knee. Underneath was the most magnificent 6+ diamondback rattler. My father was going to kill it but we convinced him to catch it in an old bucket and take it away to release it.

Of course later, when my Uncle built a house on that property, he did end up killing a good number of rattlesnakes and always cursed us that we didn't kill the one we found. One day he was bringing his wife out of the house to take her to the hospital to have her baby (in labor), when he was stopped on his threshold by another diamondback. It wouldn't let him pass, so he shot it dead. They had barely taken two steps closer to their car when another rattlesnake got in their way and wouldn't let them pass. In all I believe he shot three rattlesnakes dead on his way from his front door to the car to take his wife to the hospital to give birth.

I think it is wrong to swerve to kill an animal, but I sometimes don't bother to swerve to avoid one either. I've had to teach myself that swerving to avoid animals is a BAD thing. It can get you killed. Luckily the only animals that have been killed is three or four doves. (dumb critters).

Old 09-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #27
Rorryy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenC
Yeah..really sux when that happens There are so many dead garters on my road...And there was a lobster..a live lobster..how..IDK but there was , in the road, and my friend ran over it with his bike...*resisted strangling him*

My other friend also ran over a 4ft garter with a lawn mower..on purpose .. to see what would happen....ick

*not trying to get everyone all ryled up but* Same thing with Pit Bulls..people think they are bad dogs (owning a half pit myself) when they dont even kno them...

To me, people who diliberately run over or try and hit animals..are the same kinda people who like pit bull fighting and cock fighting and stuff like that...just pisses me off...

If i saw someone purposesly drive over an animal..i would let that person kno how i feel...i can guarantee it woudnt be pretty lol
I can't agree with you more. Like everyone says this is due to ignorance. There is actually a county in Wa, Yakima, where Pit Bulls are banned in the city limits. When Pits attack it is generally the owner that needs to be shot not the dog!

Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #28
daufoi
Going to have to be the devil's advocate here (although I would never go out of my way to kill anything... except insects, and silverfish - I just plain hate those things). The people who purposely kill things, in my opinion, probably do it because they ARE part of the circle of life. After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place. In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing. And finally, as some of you have already said, a hawk, vulture, or raven will come by and eat it (some hawks are scavengers). If not, the bacteria will get to it, and the circle of life is complete. Death and life... can't separate em, don't pull your hair out over it.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #29
Sisuitl
Quote:
Originally Posted by daufoi
In addition, where there's one snake, there's probably much much more so the overall ecosystem won't feel a thing.
Not necessarily. A lot of local rattlesnake populations around the country are in big trouble because rattlesnakes are livebearers. When the females are "incubating" the babies in them, they need to keep their overall body temperatures up for the babies to develop properly. The vast majority of road killed rattlers and rattlers killed by hikers are pregnant females basking on the most convenient flat spot that happens to warm up first thing in the morning. When you keep in mind that most rattlesnakes don't reach sexual maturity until 3-7years of age, and then only bear young once every 3-4 years after that, killing even a few breeding females has a significant impact on rattler populations.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #30
JenC
Quote:
Originally Posted by daufoi
After all, man still has some animal in him, and that's what we do kill things. Furthermore, the snake should have never been in the road in the first place.
Now now now, you cant blame the snake for what people do...PEOPLE are the ones who built the road on the snakes habitat....now its peoples fault the darn things are going into the road and getting killed...NOT the snakes.

Reminds me of a story similar to this..

A very good friend of mine, was married, and had a golden retriever that just loved every body. When she would leave for work, her husband would beat the sh*t out of the dog, "just to hear it cry" (his exact words) Poor dog had to have his left hind leg amputated, and now wont go near ANY guy...thankfully, he is now her EX.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google