CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Biggest Wild Snakes You've Ever Found

Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #31
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
I pursued, with fear in my heart, a Coachwhip that I know was longer, but did not catch it.
You know down deep you're really glad that snake got away!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
But catching it would almost certainly have gotten Eric a lifetime membership in "BITE CLUB". LOL.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #33
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thunderer View Post
But catching it would almost certainly have gotten Eric a lifetime membership in "BITE CLUB". LOL.
Yes, I'd imagine it would have done that. But, you know, some dreams are better left unattained.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
cornbreadandmilk
found a massive black rat snake a couple of years ago it was close to 7 feet i think i was shocked as i didnt think they could get that big

Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #35
vetusvates
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thunderer View Post
Quote:
Yes, I'd imagine it would have done that. But, you know, some dreams are better left unattained.
I failed to mention that the not the biggest, but "over five feet" buttermilk snake (a racer), when I worked it out of the rock pile, did land a giant bite on the bullseye bridge of my nose, right between my eyes. Could not have been better aimed. I had a hold of its tail end, and forgot the business end would be loose when I got it out of the rock pile. But I hung on to him and somehow dislodged him from my face. LOL. Luckily, for my dignity, I was alone. That was like 1979. (I am sure the "Great Overhead Deity" laughed mightily when that happened.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
found a massive black rat snake a couple of years ago it was close to 7 feet i think i was shocked as i didnt think they could get that big
Cb&m, they just keep on growing, I guess. I've caught long/large ones, and it's been my observation that the older and larger they are, the tamer they are. Makes one wonder if degree of aggression as self-preservation is "naturally" inversely proportional to age/size. I'm speaking in generalities.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #36
Pal-O-Mine
The black snake hubby and I chanced upon a couple of weeks ago had to be close to 6ft long. When we first saw it, it was stretched out across the road and was a little longer than half the width of the road. That road was also very narrow with no shoulder that only the locals or trout fisherman like to take. But again, no photos to proove it.

The black rats snakes do get HUGE around here!

Devon

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #37
WingedSweetheart
Black rat snake. I only guessed it to be 6ft. I'm 5'1" and It was longer than me lol. I think they can get around 7ft. I've seen tons of black rat snakes in my life, but have only seen a few of the really huge ones.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #38
Kels88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
Black rat snake. I only guessed it to be 6ft. I'm 5'1" and It was longer than me lol. I think they can get around 7ft. I've seen tons of black rat snakes in my life, but have only seen a few of the really huge ones.
I see 5-6 footers every now and then here in MO. They are one of our more common snakes (those and garters, I see most often). But I would believe 7 ft! My husband's step dad caught (& killed, unfortunately) one when he was in high school that they laid out and measured to be 8 ft!

I've definitely never seen an 8-footer myself, but I'm not sure I'd chance the attitude long enough to get a decent guess on length if I found a jumbo black rat.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
crotalis40741
The heaviest was a timber I found last year and the longest was probably the black rat snake that invaded my house last year. Twice!!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #40
airenlow
Black rat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google