CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn Snake Isn’t Eating

Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
NuclearTOILET
Unhappy Corn Snake Isn’t Eating

My 1 year old corn snake has eaten every Monday evening since I first got it as a baby. Granted this is my first snake so although I try I’m not the most educated (hence why I’m here). However two weeks ago my snake started leaving It’s hide and being very active/ always wanting to come out of its inclosure. My mom took this as a sign my snake was hungry and fed it 4 days early without my knowledge. Since then my snake has been refusing food. It has been refusing for almost two full weeks now. Should I be worried?

Also the snake has some black dots that have been showing up on its scales. I thought it could be scale rot so I threw out all substrate, disinfected everything, and now my corn is on some paper towels with her two different hides and a water bowl. I also started putting some anti biotic ointment on the black dots and one of the dots has disappeared. I’m really not sure if this is exactly right though?

Finally to clear up why I’m referring to make snake as an “it” is because although as a child I considered it a girl I was never certain of the gender. I don’t know if maybe the gender could have some biological reason as to why it isn’t eating (mating season maybe?)

So can anyone help me understand what could have happened and if I should be worried?. I’d like to try to avoid the vet unless absolutely needed because in my area I’d be dumping my entire months earnings on just an a check up.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
MysticExotics
First, if you're concerned about the health of your snake, I'd take the snake to a vet to make sure everything is ok.

Second, is your snake in shed? Sometimes they won't eat while in shed.

Third, it's hard to say about the black dots without seeing anything. I wouldn't put ointment on the snake without knowing the cause of the dots.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
NuclearTOILET
Now that you mention it it’s been a while since the last shed so maybe. Here is a photo of the black dot though so you can see what I mean mean.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
NuclearTOILET

Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Dennis Gulla
“The black dots” could be mites! Snake with mites tend to be more active and are often seen in their water bowl. How old is this snake?

Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
NuclearTOILET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
“The black dots” could be mites! Snake with mites tend to be more active and are often seen in their water bowl. How old is this snake?
It’s 1 year old currently. What should I do if it is mites?

Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
NuclearTOILET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
Here is an image of the black dot on my snake: https://imgur.com/a/MYXIZiw?fbclid=I...CRKQ3FAzYXR3QQ

Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #8
Dennis Gulla
I would get a wet paper towel and wipe your snake from head to tail. If they’re mites you’ll see them on the paper towel. Once you confirm they’re mites, there are few options.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearTOILET View Post
My 1 year old corn snake has eaten every Monday evening since I first got it as a baby. Granted this is my first snake so although I try I’m not the most educated (hence why I’m here). However two weeks ago my snake started leaving It’s hide and being very active/ always wanting to come out of its inclosure. My mom took this as a sign my snake was hungry and fed it 4 days early without my knowledge. Since then my snake has been refusing food. It has been refusing for almost two full weeks now. Should I be worried?

Also the snake has some black dots that have been showing up on its scales. I thought it could be scale rot so I threw out all substrate, disinfected everything, and now my corn is on some paper towels with her two different hides and a water bowl. I also started putting some anti biotic ointment on the black dots and one of the dots has disappeared. I’m really not sure if this is exactly right though?

Finally to clear up why I’m referring to make snake as an “it” is because although as a child I considered it a girl I was never certain of the gender. I don’t know if maybe the gender could have some biological reason as to why it isn’t eating (mating season maybe?)

So can anyone help me understand what could have happened and if I should be worried?. I’d like to try to avoid the vet unless absolutely needed because in my area I’d be dumping my entire months earnings on just an a check up.

Going off that one photo in Tumblr I’m not convinced it’s a mite tbh

The mites/black dots tend to be half-under a scale rather than on TOP of scales in my experience..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake