CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Strange behavior

Old 11-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Louiseee
Exclamation Strange behavior

I have just been handling my 2 year old corn snake, he was completely fine to get out of the Viv and usually is. He's very well handled and even if I don't handle him for a few days he is always pretty calm. However after holding him for a couple of minutes he started racing about really quickly then started throwing his head about in circles, he wouldn't stop it and every time I moved he would do it again. This went on for a couple of minutes until I had to put him away, he wasn't trying to bite me but this has really worried me because he's usually quite calm.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
DollysMom
After checking your temps and other aspects of your snakes environment, I would wash up, change clothes and try getting him out again. Maybe it is something on your clothes or hands. They can smell things we can’t. Also make sure he’s not in shed. If it doesn’t happen again, consider it a fluke and move on. If it happens again get him to a vet. He may be telling you something is wrong.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Twolunger
You didn't mention what morph he is, but you might want to check out "stargazer" problems in corn snakes by searching on YouTube. There are several examples of corns with that problem. I don't know at what age the problem was detected with those particular corns. Perhaps someone on this forum that has experience with stargazer can comment. I know that gene was found in sunkissed corns, but it may now be found in other morphs that have sunkissed genes. I only mention stargazer as a possibility, but it may be some other neurological problem that a vet would have to diagnose.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiseee View Post
I have just been handling my 2 year old corn snake, he was completely fine to get out of the Viv and usually is. He's very well handled and even if I don't handle him for a few days he is always pretty calm. However after holding him for a couple of minutes he started racing about really quickly then started throwing his head about in circles, he wouldn't stop it and every time I moved he would do it again. This went on for a couple of minutes until I had to put him away, he wasn't trying to bite me but this has really worried me because he's usually quite calm.
Welcome !
A video would help. Not enough info to go on so when in doubt go to the vet as recommended by Dollysmom.
My first thoughts on it was that he possibly could be in mating mode. Even though it is NOT the mating season here or there I've seen males around the two year mark and older go into mating mode. Just a thought based on if he really is a he and his age.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google