CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Mold on my Eggs

Old 07-23-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
JokersWild
Unhappy Mold on my Eggs

I have a reoccurring problem every season. Mold forms on several of my eggs and ultimatly leads to their demise. I use a regular Hova-bator and vermeculite to incubate my eggs. the temperature i set it to is 86 degrees. I have a very low number hatchlings compared to the number of eggs I start out with. I would like to know if there is anyway I can stop this problem, or treat infected eggs so that they live long enough to hatch. Any advise I could get on this matter would be greatly appriciated. Thank You

Old 07-23-2002, 09:13 PM   #2
HomeBreeder
definately get more advice, but I have heard of people using athletes foot powder for similar troubles....

^Curtis

Old 07-23-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
carol
For some reason it looks like there is something in or around your home that makes it difficult for you. I'd try a little less moisture and checking on the eggs once a week if you are having trouble. If you catch it soon enough you can get rid of mold by gently dabbing, or wiping it off with a q-tip slightly moistened with listerine, then apply a small amount of foot powder such as desenex. I have never needed more than one or two applications to stop the mold, but if you have past bad mold experiences, you may want to apply weekly. I only get a few eggs with mold each season. In my experience mold on a living egg can usually be controlled. The only time I have not been able to get rid of mold is when it is on an egg I suspected to be dead before the mold got there (like eggs that start to shrivle way before hatching time and when all the others are just fine). Hope this helps, Carol

Old 07-23-2002, 11:23 PM   #4
abell82
Are you checking the temps in the egg holder? I have heard that the Hovabators have hot spots, and 86 degrees+ could be killing the eggs and then they will start to rot.I did not notice this with mine but I only had one small container and I made sure to put it in the same spot everytime.I had mine set at 82 degrees 5 out of 6 hatched the other was found to be dead in the egg(egg must have rolled) just a few ideas!

Old 07-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #5
SilverTongue
Another thing make sure you sterilize everythinhg you are using and dry it thuroly! Mold loves moist dark damp places. And if you dont kill it then it will live on the moisture in the atmostpher till you supply it with more eggs....i hope I make sense.

Sorry I dont spell well

Old 07-24-2002, 12:18 PM   #6
JokersWild
Thank You for all of your advise. I will try the listerine and foot powder approach. I will turndown the heat and try switching my nesting materials and I will let you all know how things go for me. Again Thank You for all the tips. If anybody else has anything to add please don't hesitate to write

Old 07-24-2002, 04:31 PM   #7
Kel
It's worth trying a slightly lower temperature - incubation will be longer but you'll be safer. I'm keeping my eggs at 82 degrees to allow my thermostat plenty of room for error. Hatching started at 64 days.

Good luck !
Kel

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google