CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Sexing & Tail Length (Photos)

Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #31
CJBianco
Or you could stand beside me and talk me through it. (And then double check. Just in case.) That would be cool.

And just so I don't accidentally hurt my only Ghost breeder, maybe I could practice on a few of your Rattlesnakes first. Or that Albino cobra. Sound good?

Thanks for the offer. I look forward to it. =)

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #32
El Jefe
Yeah...no problem. The cobra is a breeze to probe....

Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #33
El Jefe
Is this the snake you were talking about???
See...holding the tail is no problem.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #34
CJBianco
That's the one!

Although it may be easier for me to get into probing position if I held the snake instead of just sitting it on the table. (Maybe drape the snake around my neck.) Who knows? Whatever. We can try it both ways.

Chris

Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #35
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
I'm such a coward!)

Chris
Hey better safe then sorry! I've had many people tell me to practice on DOR's.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM   #36
Drizzt80
Even though you have someone close to probe for you now, one method that is rarely mentioned but I personally think is pretty darn accurate is the ventral scale count. It's a viable option for those that don't have access to someone that can probe, nor feels comfortable doing it themselves. To have the easiest time of it you do need to wait for a complete shed as most snakes don't want to sit still long enough, upside down, for you to count . . .

You count the ventral scales from the chin to the vent, then the scales from the vent to the tail tip. Subtract the tail count from the chin to vent count. If the difference is greater than 154, it's more likely a female. Less than 154, more likely a male. Of course the closer to 154 either way, the greater the chance of it being inaccurate. FWIW, of the 40+ corns I have counted in my collection there's only been 2 that didn't 'count' right. (One is a snake which I received second hand that has a stubby tail from incomplete sheddings prior to me owning him.) Lastly, the tail scales are 'split' in pairs, side by side, and you count each pair as one.

From the pictures, I would also 'guess' female.

D80

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google